Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Newbie pool owner needs advice: Full test this AM - here are the results

1. Back To Top    #1

Newbie pool owner needs advice: Full test this AM - here are the results

FC=3
    CC=4
    CYA=105
    Alk=140
    Cal=350

I've been slowly getting the CYA down (it was originally around 125 when I purchased the house) and I will be adding a gallon of bleach immediately and re-testing this afternoon as I realize I don't have nearly enough for effective sanitization.

What else should I be doing in the mean time?
    In ground, plaster, 40x12 with attached hot tub. 30,000(ish) gallons. Built in 70's. Pentair Intelliiflow vari-speed pump. SMBW 4000 DE filter. Single skimmer. Max E Therm 400k natural gas heater.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Newbie pool owner needs advice: Full test this AM - here are the results

What test kit are you using for these results? What does your water look like? Your pH number? Need more info to help further.
    19300 gal, AG vinyl, 1 HP Pentair Dynamo two stage pump, 5 yr old Hayward Vari-Flo sand filter, pool 14 yrs old, well water, testing with Taylor K2006

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP! Good to have you here

Glad you've been working the CYA down and bringing the FC up. Three questions... what test kit are you using, what's your pH, and how does the pool look?
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

4. Back To Top    #4

Sorry for the exclusion.

Ph is 7.8

I'm using the TF-100 and K-1000 test kits.
    In ground, plaster, 40x12 with attached hot tub. 30,000(ish) gallons. Built in 70's. Pentair Intelliiflow vari-speed pump. SMBW 4000 DE filter. Single skimmer. Max E Therm 400k natural gas heater.

5. Back To Top    #5

Oh, pool looks pretty clear too. I did find algae on the light though so i figure i have an algae precooked to deal with now.

6. Back To Top    #6

If you have found algae, you should SLAM(link in my signature). Get your pH down in the 7.2-7.4 range before starting the SLAM with some muriatic acid. And if you don't have water restrictions, you may want to drain and refill about half of your water. How did you measure the CYA at 105? Dilution method?
    26k Gal IG vinyl, Hayward Super 1HP, Hayward Pro Series S244T Sand Filter, TFTestkits TF-100 w/ Speedstir
    Links: TFPC for Beginners / ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry / GETTING STARTED / PoolMath / SLAM / TFTestkits / Chlorine/CYA Chart