Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: All about PHin

1. Back To Top    #1

All about PHin

I suspect that at least a few of the folks here are familiar with or have heard of PHin (Smart Pool Monitoring System | Simplify Pool Care | pHin), the automated product/service that monitors chemistry and directs treatment. PHin has two components: a floating sensor and home-delivered "pods" of chemicals. The sensor communicates directly with your phone to tell you which pods to feed your pool to stay in balance.

I think I would like it better if the sensor told me what chemicals I need to add to the pool and then it became my responsibility to do so, rather than throw in "one blue pod and two green pods." This suits my general belief that I should be exposed to, not shielded from, the subtleties and even the vagaries of pool chemistry.

That said, this is fascinating to me, and at $449 for 12 months or $249 for four months (just about the amount of time we use our pool), it has my attention. Has anyone used this service or one like it? Are there ones like it? Are there any that offer just a sensor to inform you of chemistry needs? I love my AquaLink, that allows me to control my equipment via my mobile device; a floating Bluetooth-enabled sensor is in keeping with our digital age.

Many thanks.

Rick Altman
    Pleasanton CA
    Standard in-ground pool
    27,000 gallons

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: All about PHin

I would rather have my test kit tell me what I need to add....simple, accurate, and cheap
    Valley of the Sun, Arizona.....10k gunite/pebble (Re-surface March 2015) w/in floor Caretaker 99 cleaning heads -- Pentair FNS 60 DE filter -- Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed for pool -- Pentair Wisperflo 1 HP for boulder waterfall...Taylor K-2006 & Taylor K-2006C kits

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by oldguy70 View Post
    I would rather have my test kit tell me what I need to add....simple, accurate, and cheap
    +1 ^^^^ on this.

I don't spend nearly $449 a year on pool chemicals and test reagents combined. Pool open 5-6 months at least a year.
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

4. Back To Top    #4

My concern is accuracy of the tester, FC is very difficult to get accurate automated readings which is why we use the test kit we use. Also I want to know what is going in pool so as long as they told me what the different colors are and they could prove acuracy of their equipment I would consider, but still probably more expensive than what I spend now.
    28,000 gals (20 x 40), IG, vinyl, Hayward Sand Filter, old Hayward
    Super pump (not sure of HP secondary to corrosion of label),

5. Back To Top    #5

I can't vouch for this system, but it is a bit intriguing. If we could get HIGHLY ACCURATE automated testing and the actual results data, then I would be in!
    COMPLETED BUILD THREAD - 15'x29' rectangular offset shotcrete pool; 14,100 gal; 5'x7' raised spa with 400k btu fire feature; 7' spillover; 25' leuder stone raised bond wall w/waterfall; Pentair SWG; Pentair VS (pool); Pentair 3/4hp feature pump; 1hp spa blower; Pentair Cartridge filter; Pentair “Easy Touch 8” wireless; Dolphin Oasis Z5 robot; Solar Hydronics iSwim solar panels; Mansard Screen Enclosure; walnut travertine deck; 1 very happy kiddo.