Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Algae patches in pool, can we swim?

1. Back To Top    #1

Algae patches in pool, can we swim?

We went away on vacation for 10 days and upon coming back, I noticed we have some patches of algae in the pool, on the beach entry, and also on a sitting shelf in the back of the pool. I have a SWG, and tested the water, and the FC is reading very high, around 5, and the available is the same color, so no difference. The PH was very high, around 8.2, so from what I am reading, this is probably why I got the patches. The patches are a dark green, and there are not a ton of them, there are about 5-6 small ones on the beach, about the size of a couple of quarters, and one larger one, about the size of 2 footballs on the sitting shelf.

However, the water is not green at all, just the patches. I did notice a lot of dead algae on the bottom of the pool too, which I vacuumed up.

I now have the PH down to around 7.5, but I suspect it will take some time to get rid of the algae.

My kids are dying to swim, but I am a bit nervous, but feel it should be OK considering the water is not green at all, not even a tint. Any thoughts on this? Safe?
    20K gallon, gunite w/attached spa
    2 HP WhisperFlow pump
    Kreepy Krauly Cleaner
    DE Filter
    New Gas heater being installed in a few days

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Algae patches in pool, can we swim?

probably it will be fine. your levels are all good it sounds like so I don't see why not.

vinyl soft sided pool
    intex 1500 gph sand filter and intex swg at 1500 gph.

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Safe to swim? Probably harmless.

What concerns me in reading your post is that it appears you think your algae is related to PH being off. The two are not related. You get algae in a pool when the chlorine isn't high enough and that depends on your CYA Level. To get rid of the algae you should follow the SLAM process. Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the help everyone.
    20K gallon, gunite w/attached spa
    2 HP WhisperFlow pump
    Kreepy Krauly Cleaner
    DE Filter
    New Gas heater being installed in a few days

5. Back To Top    #5

Hey Eriky. May I ask how you got the FC reading of 5? Did you test it yourself and if so which test kit are you using?
    ~Chris - 20,000 gallons free-form gunite / Pebbletec, Aquapure 1400 SWG, 2 HP Jandy VS Main Pool Pump, 2 HP Jandy Water feature Pump, 580 Jandy cartridge filter, Dolphin M500, TF-100 w/Speedstir.