Why is there no FC with SWG? Upd got it to 5! SWG throwing Service Light "121"?

gocubs418

May 3, 2016
Dallas/TX
Why is there no FC with SWG? Upd got it to 5! SWG throwing Service Light "121"?

I just got salt mixed into my pool and I set the Jandy Aquapure to 30%, yet my FC levels remain 0. My CYA should be around 70-80, I am going to test today. My pH crept up to 8.2 again so I am going to bring it down with MA.

I guess my question is: what do I need to do to get the Aquapure to start producing some Chlorine for me?

Re: Why is there no FC with SWG?

How long has your FC been at zero for? If the water was left that way for too long, you could have the start of an algae bloom and your SWG will never be able to produce enough chlorine quick enough to kill it.

I would raise your FC to your target level using bleach and then run the SWG from that point to see if it holds. I would also suggest that if it does not hold and your SWG has all normal lights on, then you need to do an OCLT to rule out algae.

How long has the salt been mixing? You should let the pump run for about 24 hours and then turn on your salt water generator and it should show free chlorine.

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk

My mistake guys, I have somewhere between .5PPM and 1PPM of Chlorine.

My CYA is excellent, somewhere around 80-90. Little higher than I wanted, but should be fine?

Added in around a cup -1.5 cup of MA to lower pH.

Added in around 60os of Bleach to get the chlorine level higher to get me to 4PPM.

Do not fear overshooting a little on your chlorine, running with a low chlorine level is MUCH worse than a little too much. Any time your chlorine gets below your minimum you risk letting algae get started, the longer it runs there the larger the risk.

With a CYA level of 80 your pool is perfectly safe to swim in up to 31 ppm chlorine, so 10 or 12 will certainly not hurt a thing. The extra chlorine may even be a good thing if you have something trying to get started.

Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

Now I am confused.... I just tested today and I still have .5PPM of FC..... I literally dumped in half jug of Bleach yesterday and mixed it in.... Do I need to throw in 2 jugs of Bleach today?

I just did the test... dropped the powder into 10mL, it turned a pink hue, then did 1 drop of solution, and it all disappeared.

I called Jandy just now and they said I need to shock my pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: Why is there no FC with SWG? Upd Still very low FC

I get 140 ounces of 8% bleach to get to 8.0. At 6% you would need close to 200 ounces.

- - - Updated - - -

I get 140 ounces of 8% bleach to get to 8.0. At 6% you would need close to 200 ounces.

- - - Updated - - -

I poured in around 1/4 jug of bleach and cranked up the SWG to 80% (from 50%). I will re-test tomorrow. My pool literally gets direct sunlight for 12 hrs a day. Also, I did the CYA test and I am hovering around 90.

Have you tried Pool Math to find out how much bleach you need to add to get to your target? I could be wrong, but it sounds like you aren't even close.

- - - Updated - - -

Just did a quickie based on current value of .5 FC, 90 CYA and target of 8. With 8.25% bleach, you need about 130 ounces. So depending on the size bottle you are using, you aren't even scratching the surface.

Cranking up the SWG won't really help that much either. You need to add the correct amount of bleach first before the SWG and before you get an algae bloom.

So now 2 people have told you to use between 130 and 140 ounces of bleach, that's more than one full jug.

1/4 jug will NOT do it.

At your CYA level, it is safe to swim with FC up to 32-36. So dump a gallon of bleach in there and get your FC up now or you're just asking for algae. Running your SWG overtime to try to bring up your FC is just shortening its life. Personally, I'd much rather pay for a $3 jug of bleach than a $400 SWG cell.

If you would listen to what these fine folks are telling you about adding MUCH more bleach than you are, you would be making some progress. Your SWG will maintain FC after you bring it up with bleach.

In my defense, I put in what I had left at the time... it actually worked... my FC went up to 1.5PPM today.

I went to Lowe's and bought the last two Kemtek Liquid Chlorine jugs and dumped one in... with a pinch of MA to lower the pH a little bit. Fingers crossed I get a spike then I will start tweaking with the SWG %. If PoolMath is correct, I should get close to FC10 (possibly more with SWG at 75%)

Thanks!!!!!!

Re: Why is there no FC with SWG? Upd Came to 1.5FC, put 1gal in tonight

Make sure you don't add bleach and MA too close together, dangerous. Give one time to be mixed in, pump on, before adding the other.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.