Filter is leaking; any suggestions?

Sep 1, 2016
Houston
There is water trickling in a few streams out of the filter primarily by the closures. I removed the top, cleaned the o-ring, and lubed it up heavily, then put it back on tightly. I'm losing maybe an inch every few hours when the pump is on. Any suggestions? And when the pump turns on tons of large bubbles precede water flow from the return jets. Thank you!

Your filter has a pretty serious leak. The bubbles that you see are from the air that has leaked into your filter when you turn off the pump. Couple of questions -

1. When was the last time the filter was torn down and completely cleaned? (I assume this is a grid style DE filter)

2. What is the pressure gauge telling you when the system is running?

3. How old is the o-ring?

4. When you take the lid off the body of the filter, is anything warped or not lining up between the two halves?

5. What type of clamp is on the filter to hold the two halves together? Does it cost snuggly?

If you could use Photobucket to upload some pics and attach them to your next post it would help to see what the problem looks like. Also, try to let us know what the exact filter model is.

Mine leaked but not as heavily as yours. I "carefully" use a rubber mallet to make sure the clamp is on as evenly as possible. Joyful's questions are great..fyi..i have been cleaning my filter almost monthly due to SLAMming, etc....

1. About 2 weeks ago but my pool was green. Since then I have pulled out the manifold and grids twice and spent about 20 minutes thoroughly spraying it off as best I could without taking it part. I last did that a week ago.

2. With clean filter and fresh DE, the pressure is at 10. The last few days it has been running about 15.

3. Supposedly new (less than 4 weeks) o-ring according to the last pool company I worked with.

4. There are small indents where the two halves meet from people using a flat head screw driver to wedge it apart.

5. A metal band of some sort and the edges do not quite touch after the bolts are tightened.

I'll try to figure out how to upload some pics.

Thank you!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you for the tip. I'll try that.

- - - Updated - - -

I had the spider gasket replaced about a month ago and the guy did a horrible job. I think it needs to be replaced again. If it is the spider gasket do you know if it would leak more with the pump running or the pump off? Since I've relubed and tightened everything, it is still losing water but it seems like more of a loss when the pump is off.

Not an expert on that but I think ON (for your spider gasket question) - I would think the maximum amount of water loss when the pump is off is what's in the tank (which would not have a significant impact on the pool water level). And all grids are securely in place (top and bottom), right? No bolt missing from the top of the filter grids. Also o-ring does fit correctly, right? I think I have the same filter as you and my o-ring is "somewhat tight" (hard to describe ;-) )

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.