phosphorus high

DMS2014

Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2014
Houston, Texas
So i sent the hub to the pool store to test our salt bc we've drained water off so many times with the rain. It was low BUT he had them run the other chems even tho I just did our testing today. Grrr. They said the phosphorus was high and that was a breeding ground for algae.

Now, we don't have a test for that in our kit but my theory is that if you keep the chlorine where it should be, then you won't have algae. Right or wrong???

AND ofc, they sold him stuff to lower the phosphorus. GRRRR.

Chems today:
FAC 3
CH 300
TA 110
CYA 60
pH 7.5
salt 2800 (he got 2 bags of salt at store)

Now, I know these are on the low end of recommended and I did the pool calculator to see what to add to put them in at the right level.

Please advise.

Chems today:
FAC 3
CH 300
TA 110
CYA 60
pH 7.5
salt 2800 (he got 2 bags of salt at store)

Now, I know these are on the low end of recommended and I did the pool calculator to see what to add to put them in at the right level.

Please advise.
Note that FC of 3 is not just 'at the low end of recommended' for CYA of 60; it is well below the minimum level recommended in the chlorine/CYA chart (FC 5 minimum). That is an invitation to algae, and if algae does get started, it will be happy to make use of the higher phosphate levels.

Note that FC of 3 is not just 'at the low end of recommended' for CYA of 60; it is well below the minimum level recommended in the chlorine/CYA chart (FC 5 minimum). That is an invitation to algae, and if algae does get started, it will be happy to make use of the higher phosphorus levels.
OP has a SWG, so FC 3ppm would put them right at the minimum for a SWG pool.

However, this is still good advise, don't let the pool remain at minimum FC, one little dip below and algae can grab hold.

That is being said a lot, but the concern according to those purporting this problem is that the Phosphates will tie up with Calcium and create Calcium Phosphate scale on your SWG plates. The problem is, they never give any specifics regarding both these levels. They just say your phosphates are too high and it will cause your SWG to fail. In my opinion there is some potential truth to the argument, but its largely a crutch or sales tactic coming into the verbage of the industry to sell phosphate removers. At 300 CH, its hardly a concern, but again they leave this out of the discussion and just say your phosphates are too high. Whatever truth there may be to the argument, high phosphates is a popular buzzword more than it is a real concern. Especially related to Algae problems, where they are of so little concern they arent worth mentioning.

The husband and I fight over this. What's interesting is the pool store said the FAC was much higher.
Two pool managers never works. Whoever is going to the pool store needs to follow the pool store advice or ours. blending what we teach with bogus pool store info doesn't work, either.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.