Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: phosphorus high

1. Back To Top    #1

phosphorus high

So i sent the hub to the pool store to test our salt bc we've drained water off so many times with the rain. It was low BUT he had them run the other chems even tho I just did our testing today. Grrr. They said the phosphorus was high and that was a breeding ground for algae.

Now, we don't have a test for that in our kit but my theory is that if you keep the chlorine where it should be, then you won't have algae. Right or wrong???

AND ofc, they sold him stuff to lower the phosphorus. GRRRR.

Chems today:
    FAC 3
    CH 300
    TA 110
    CYA 60
    pH 7.5
    salt 2800 (he got 2 bags of salt at store)

Now, I know these are on the low end of recommended and I did the pool calculator to see what to add to put them in at the right level.

Please advise.
    19k SW IG
    Wet Edge pebble tech = new 5/16 (replaster)
    Hayward variable speed pump (new 6/17) /Shark for cleaning
    New - filled 10/18/14 - TFP 100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: phosphorus high

Your hunch is correct. In a properly chlorinated pool, you shouldn't need to concern yourself with phosphates.
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by DMS2014 View Post

Chems today:
    FAC 3
    CH 300
    TA 110
    CYA 60
    pH 7.5
    salt 2800 (he got 2 bags of salt at store)

Now, I know these are on the low end of recommended and I did the pool calculator to see what to add to put them in at the right level.

Please advise.
    Note that FC of 3 is not just 'at the low end of recommended' for CYA of 60; it is well below the minimum level recommended in the chlorine/CYA chart (FC 5 minimum). That is an invitation to algae, and if algae does get started, it will be happy to make use of the higher phosphate levels.
    18' x 48" ring top pool (Summer Escapes); 5500 gallons; set up June - October, stored during winter; Intex 2500 gph pump (B size cartridge filter) Hayward 21" sand filter + 1.5 hp single speed Powerflo Matrix pump (upgrade October 2016) *** K-2006 test kit, refills from tftestkits

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by singingpond View Post
    Note that FC of 3 is not just 'at the low end of recommended' for CYA of 60; it is well below the minimum level recommended in the chlorine/CYA chart (FC 5 minimum). That is an invitation to algae, and if algae does get started, it will be happy to make use of the higher phosphorus levels.
    OP has a SWG, so FC 3ppm would put them right at the minimum for a SWG pool.

However, this is still good advise, don't let the pool remain at minimum FC, one little dip below and algae can grab hold.
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

thanks for catching that - I shouldn't post while heading out the door...
    18' x 48" ring top pool (Summer Escapes); 5500 gallons; set up June - October, stored during winter; Intex 2500 gph pump (B size cartridge filter) Hayward 21" sand filter + 1.5 hp single speed Powerflo Matrix pump (upgrade October 2016) *** K-2006 test kit, refills from tftestkits

6. Back To Top    #6

The husband and I fight over this. What's interesting is the pool store said the FAC was much higher.
    19k SW IG

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Also, have him return the unopened magic potion. Maybe then he'll know better next time.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

8. Back To Top    #8

well, he told me too that they said that high phosporous is bad for the SWG....
    19k SW IG

9. Back To Top    #9

That is being said a lot, but the concern according to those purporting this problem is that the Phosphates will tie up with Calcium and create Calcium Phosphate scale on your SWG plates. The problem is, they never give any specifics regarding both these levels. They just say your phosphates are too high and it will cause your SWG to fail. In my opinion there is some potential truth to the argument, but its largely a crutch or sales tactic coming into the verbage of the industry to sell phosphate removers. At 300 CH, its hardly a concern, but again they leave this out of the discussion and just say your phosphates are too high. Whatever truth there may be to the argument, high phosphates is a popular buzzword more than it is a real concern. Especially related to Algae problems, where they are of so little concern they arent worth mentioning.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

The husband and I fight over this. What's interesting is the pool store said the FAC was much higher.
    Two pool managers never works. Whoever is going to the pool store needs to follow the pool store advice or ours. blending what we teach with bogus pool store info doesn't work, either.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School