8.4 pH pool

Sep 8, 2014
Los Angeles CA
Hi, I haven't been adding anything to the pool except liquid chlorine. When I last measured it the pH was 8.4 or thereabouts. I thought liquid chlorine pH changes were supposed to be temporary and balance out at the end. Will I have to add muriatic acid? At what chlorine level is it safe to swim in if any?

Hi, I haven't been adding anything to the pool except liquid chlorine. When I last measured it the pH was 8.4 or thereabouts. I thought liquid chlorine pH changes were supposed to be temporary and balance out at the end. Will I have to add muriatic acid? At what chlorine level is it safe to swim in if any?
What is your TA? Rising pH is a common situation, most pool owners find that pH will rise over time and use muriatic acid to lower it.

You are safe to swim when the FC level is between 7.5-40% of your CYA level.

Could you post a complete set of test results including FC, CC, pH, TA, CH & CYA? This will help us understand your pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.