Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 8.4 pH pool

1. Back To Top    #1

8.4 pH pool

Hi, I haven't been adding anything to the pool except liquid chlorine. When I last measured it the pH was 8.4 or thereabouts. I thought liquid chlorine pH changes were supposed to be temporary and balance out at the end. Will I have to add muriatic acid? At what chlorine level is it safe to swim in if any?

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: 8.4 pH pool

We need the details of your pool and testing method before we can honestly address your concerns.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Re: 8.4 pH pool

Quote Originally Posted by Jarwulf View Post
    Hi, I haven't been adding anything to the pool except liquid chlorine. When I last measured it the pH was 8.4 or thereabouts. I thought liquid chlorine pH changes were supposed to be temporary and balance out at the end. Will I have to add muriatic acid? At what chlorine level is it safe to swim in if any?
    What is your TA? Rising pH is a common situation, most pool owners find that pH will rise over time and use muriatic acid to lower it.

You are safe to swim when the FC level is between 7.5-40% of your CYA level.

Could you post a complete set of test results including FC, CC, pH, TA, CH & CYA? This will help us understand your pool.
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!