Pressure Gauge questions

appstategrad

Jul 12, 2014
Hickory, NC
My 3 yr old pressure gauge is slow to rise when the pump is first turned on and slow to fall when it is turned off (but it does eventually go back to zero when off.) After a minute or so it gets to where I would expect the pressure to be, is consistent, and I have movement through the returns. Vacuuming is fine. I suspect the gauge is bad, but is there anything else I should check before I order a new one? I took it off and cleaned inside it and inside the filter fitting with a straw cleaner brush...no change.

Are "off-brand" gauges as good as a name brand or should I stick with a name brand (Hayward is what i have now)? I don't have a preference to buy one over the other, but an off brand doesn't save money if you buy it twice as often or it doesn't work as well. If you have had good experience with an off-brand, what was the name?

Thanks!

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

I've experience with several gauges including the better glycerine filled gauges. They all seem to last me about a year. My last purchase was a $6 gauge at the local pool store so I bought 2. I do leave the gauges on in winter which may contribute to their short life but bad pressure readings have had me chasing false problems so I keep a spare on hand now.

These fail often. Heck mine has been broken for years. Many times that aren't very accurate but can tell you if and when the pressure has gone up 10 PSI since you cleaned last.

As long as it will fit you generally can use it. I've even used one from the big box home improvement stores. Might be slightly cheaper than a pool supply place.

Thanks for the input! AimeeH and JVTrain I didn't realize there was a difference or that I should look for one that specifically said "glycerine filled"...I just searched for something along the lines of "pool sand filter gauge". Seems like they are all about a 1/4" fitting.

THe gauge available on TFP is the bomb. Im going on 2.5 years with it and it still looks like it did the day I got it. Its extremely well built, is much easier to read. IMO, it's worth way more than the asking price for it.
DSCN0627.jpg
DSCN0628.jpg

Another vote for the glycerine filled gauges, I'm on my second season with the one I purchased from TFTestkits.net, works like the day I bought it, and the price can't be beat. I especially like the equalizing valve on the gauge!

Glycerin filled gauges use the glycerin to reduce the effects of pulsation in the monitored line. It is unlikely that many centrifugal pool pumps will see such pulsation under normal use. The biggest gauge killer is leaving them on over the winter. Once the bourdon tube is full of water (the glycerin only fills the case and surrounds the gauge works) there is nothing to displace it and allow the water to drain out. Air that might have originally been in the gauge at installation will be absorbed into the water and be replaced with the water. Ice then breaks it. There are several quality gauges made in this country - Wika, US Gauge, Marshall, to name a few. Most gauges are imported from China. Some are quality, many are not. Unless you are in the gauge business (I was for a while) there is little to judge by. The best insurance is to remove it on pool closure and put a pipe plug in the opening.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Glycerin filled gauges use the glycerin to reduce the effects of pulsation in the monitored line. It is unlikely that many centrifugal pool pumps will see such pulsation under normal use. The biggest gauge killer is leaving them on over the winter. Once the bourdon tube is full of water (the glycerin only fills the case and surrounds the gauge works) there is nothing to displace it and allow the water to drain out. Air that might have originally been in the gauge at installation will be absorbed into the water and be replaced with the water. Ice then breaks it. There are several quality gauges made in this country - Wika, US Gauge, Marshall, to name a few. Most gauges are imported from China. Some are quality, many are not. Unless you are in the gauge business (I was for a while) there is little to judge by. The best insurance is to remove it on pool closure and put a pipe plug in the opening.
Interesting info, thank you for responding. I do remove mine in the winter. I will order a new one tomorrow. Thanks!

Glycerin filled gauges use the glycerin to reduce the effects of pulsation in the monitored line. It is unlikely that many centrifugal pool pumps will see such pulsation under normal use. The biggest gauge killer is leaving them on over the winter. Once the bourdon tube is full of water (the glycerin only fills the case and surrounds the gauge works) there is nothing to displace it and allow the water to drain out. Air that might have originally been in the gauge at installation will be absorbed into the water and be replaced with the water. Ice then breaks it. .... The best insurance is to remove it on pool closure and put a pipe plug in the opening.

I would think that a Glycerin filled gauge would help as a thermal mass around the bourdon tube in climates like mine where temperatures rarely drop below freezing for over 12-18 hours at a time.

Quite possible. Or your location, both geographically and specifically the filter location may shelter it. There are many dynamics at play. When considering that ice can generate tens of thousands of pounds of force depending upon the amount and temperature, gauges will usually lose. If the tube itself doesn't break and leak, the curl of the tube can be straightened, kinked, or stuck. So even if it moves the accuracy is likely to be affected. Fortunately most pool applications are not critical, noting whether the filter is clogged or clogging being the usual information desired.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.