CYA is low-ish...but should I just ride it out?

doncaruana

Gold Supporter
Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Aug 25, 2011
Northville, Mi
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Gonna close the pool for the winter in 3 or 4 weeks. CYA is about 30. Water is absolutely crystal clear because I'm compensating a little by upping my SWG a little. I have some liquid stabilizer on hand, but would rather keep it around for opening, to be honest. I also have enough solid stabilizer to raise my pool about 17, which, of course, isn't near enough.

The liquid will only raise it by 24 or so, meaning I'd need to use a gallon of it plus the solid stuff to get to where I need to go. But the solid is gonna take a couple of weeks to dissolve.

Given the possibility of losing CYA over the winter (it's happened to me before), I'm leaning towards just riding it out for the rest of the summer here and save all my CYA for the spring. Any thoughts on that from anyone?

Also, in the meantime, I'm thinking about taking one of my spare gallon jugs, dumping the solid stabilizer in it and filling the rest with water and just let it dissolve over the winter, so that will be ready to go in the spring as well. Any thoughts on that either?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.