Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA is low-ish...but should I just ride it out?

1. Back To Top    #1

Northville, Mi

CYA is low-ish...but should I just ride it out?

Gonna close the pool for the winter in 3 or 4 weeks. CYA is about 30. Water is absolutely crystal clear because I'm compensating a little by upping my SWG a little. I have some liquid stabilizer on hand, but would rather keep it around for opening, to be honest. I also have enough solid stabilizer to raise my pool about 17, which, of course, isn't near enough.

The liquid will only raise it by 24 or so, meaning I'd need to use a gallon of it plus the solid stuff to get to where I need to go. But the solid is gonna take a couple of weeks to dissolve.

Given the possibility of losing CYA over the winter (it's happened to me before), I'm leaning towards just riding it out for the rest of the summer here and save all my CYA for the spring. Any thoughts on that from anyone?

Also, in the meantime, I'm thinking about taking one of my spare gallon jugs, dumping the solid stabilizer in it and filling the rest with water and just let it dissolve over the winter, so that will be ready to go in the spring as well. Any thoughts on that either?
    15,400 gal, 16x32 vinyl rectangle (sport dig), Intelliflo VS, 240 sqft cartridge filter, Intellichlor IC40, Mastertemp 250, Dolphin supreme M4 cleaning, Pentair EasyTouch4

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: CYA is low-ish...but should I just ride it out?

Granular CYA dissolves in 24 hours normally....not two weeks.

I'd still leave it at 30 and close when you get ready.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School