Pool pump issue

Apr 28, 2015
herndon, va
Hi,

After going on vacation and our neighbour agreeing to tend to our filter basket, we have come home to a blocked basket (full of leaves) and a pump motor that is making a loud noise (almost rattling) and not pumping any water around the system.

Any ideas what is could be? I'm assuming the leaves have blocked the flow and created pressure in the system but would appreciate if any one knows what the likely issue is before I call the pool company.

Last year we had a problem with the bearings in the booster pump, this time the noise from the main pump doesn't seem to be quiet as loud but it's pretty noticeable.

Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Hi,

After going on vacation and our neighbour agreeing to tend to our filter basket, we have come home to a blocked basket (full of leaves) and a pump motor that is making a loud noise (almost rattling) and not pumping any water around the system.

Any ideas what is could be? I'm assuming the leaves have blocked the flow and created pressure in the system but would appreciate if any one knows what the likely issue is before I call the pool company.

Last year we had a problem with the bearings in the booster pump, this time the noise from the main pump doesn't seem to be quiet as loud but it's pretty noticeable.

Thanks!

Sorry, that should read 'skimmer basket' not 'filter basket' on the first line

Have you removed the leaves?

So leaves are out - all skimmer baskets (one my the pool and one by the pump) are leave/debris free. I took the motor off and checked the part that joins to the pipe to the filter (The impeller I think) and there was no debris there. Attached it back in place and it's now working but making a loud noise as it runs........ my assumption is the bearings are shot, but I don't know. I guess it's a pool company diagnostic/repair.......

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.