First SLAM - Changing Variable Pump Speeds?

May 15, 2016
Damascus/MD
Hi All,

I'm about to start the process of my first slam - pool was left alone for 4/5 days without chlorine and got a tiny hint of green in it. Everything level wise is spot on but it is staying cloudy every time I brush it back down (about a week now) - I typically only run my variable speed pump 10 hours a day and have had no issues all year (new house and first pool!). But I'm assuming this run time isn't helping filter our the remaining algae...it seems to clear up in 48 hours, then I have to brush/vaccum the debris which makes it a tiny bit cloudier. I've done it twice now and decided it's probably time for my first SLAM.

Levels:
FC 10 (just added bleach this AM)
CC 0
pH 7.4
CH 180
TA 60
CYA 50

I think I get the gist of SLAM - my only question is the 24/7 runtime...should I bump up the RPM through the evening, or is around 1000RPM ok as long as the water is circulating? I'm kind of guessing higher RPM = more/faster clearing up...but maybe not? My pool holds chlorine really well...besides opening the pool I've never had to shock it by following the BBB method :)

Thanks all for any help!
Dave

Hi Dave. No need to crank-up the RPMs too much. Faster isn't better in this case. Your chemistry and the correct FC "maintained" is what you need. So based on your CYA of 50, increase FC to "20" and continue to run the pump 24/7. Low is fine, and occasionally bump-up to purge air or assist with vacuuming as needed. Backwash when filter pressure increases by 25% and maintain the FC of 20 as best as you can until you pass all 3 SLAM criteria. Good luck!

Awesome - well, I just dropped about 4 gallons in and that got me to right about 20. I'll wait to see where I end up first thing I the morning. I brushed the pool down just after adding the bleach, but I'm assuming I'll get some dead algae on the bottom after 24 hours or so - is it best practice to re-brush that algae or vacuum it up? Should I wait until water is crystal clear then brush/suck it up...or just daily vacuum/brush?

I've reset my programmed rpms so I'm running 24/7 for now!

Thanks for chiming in!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When it comes to an active algae bloom, it's best to do all-the-above. Brush the pool surfaces to break-up algae that is clinging or has a protective film on it trying to survive the chlorine. As you break it up, some may get sucked into the skimmer. Some algae (dead or alive) may settle and need a vacuuming. Do your best as time permits each day and remember to try and maintain that SLAM FC as best as you can.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.