New to pool DE pressure problem

Sep 4, 2016
Hemet
We just bought a new house and it has a pool. I am reading as much as I can to learn what it requires to be a good pool owner. With that said, the previous owners of the house had paid for a pool guy through September. Last week he cleaned the DE filter (washed it out and added new DE). Also this past week I replaced the o rings in my jandy valve that comes before the pump to fix a suction air leak. After doing these 2 things I am now noticing that my psi is high. I have a variable speed pentair pump that is 1.5 hp with a SF of 1.32. When it is on the low setting I am running about 8-10 psi (around 1200 rpm) but when it is on high, it is almost at 23psi (around 3100 rpm) and varies between these pressures depending on the speed. I do want to add that upon start up the pump starts at around 3400 rpm (the psi is almost at 30) on high and then after 30 seconds drops to 3100 rpm. With that said, I am assuming that is too high of pressure. Most of the info I have found online do not discuss variable speed pumps. I know I fixed the air leak because the pump water is clear instead of turbulent.

With that said, do you think the pool guy put too much DE in? We have not had any algae issues since moving in, so I do not think that it is caused by a clogged filter because it has been clear since we started looking at the house 2 months ago and it has remained clear. The DE was replaced earlier this week.

I have read many many forums to this issue and all I can think is he added too much DE. I am more than willing to do a full cleaning and start fresh, but if that is not the issue I have other important things to do (like unpacking a house).

Thanks for all of you help.

There are alot of variables in a circulation system that can make pressure vary. Would need more information on filter size and plumbing to determine the increases in pressure. I knew pentair made a 1hp variable but not a 1.5 hp.

The filter size is 60 square feet. The plumbing is either 2" or 1.5" throughout. Yesterday I installed a check valve on the bypass to my spa. I replaced a very leaky gate valve that was allowing my spa to drain back into my pool because it is higher than my pool. It seems to be draining back less (maybe not at all). If it is I think I need to replace my off brand jandy valves.

Maybe someone will know the answer to this, the current valves are Arnesone. They look almost identical to 3 way Jandy Valves. I went to Leslies and they didn't have any brands that had the same size internals. I searched Google and all I can get is that Arnesone is now owned by Hayward but do not may 3 way valves anymore. When I went to Leslies we looked at the Hayward valve replacement internal but the stopper was a little bigger and the stops did not line up so I don't think it would work.

Has anyone ever successfully replaced the internals of this type of valve? If so, what brand worked? I am trying to avoid having to cut all my lines and add new Jandy valves.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.