Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taylor K-2006

1. Back To Top    #1

Taylor K-2006

Tried my first test with the Taylor K-2006. Also got a pool store analysis to compare.

FC: 5
    CC: 0.5 (pool store test said 0, I wasn't sure on this one, it was a very, very light shade of pink)
    PH: 8.0
    TA:90
    CY:80

Calcium Hardness test: Added the 20 drops of R-0010, swirled, added 5 drops of R0011L. It turned blue. Does this mean I need to add calcium chloride?

On the high PH test, it took me 4 drops to get to 7.2, looking at the tables, I think I need to add 2.29qts of muriatic acid. Does this right?
    Memphis, TN.
    Pool IG, 20K gallon, Gunite. Triton Sand filter, Pentair Pump, Polaris 280, Doheny Discovery Dolphin, Chlorinating Liquid, Rock Water Feature, New Plaster 2015
    Spa 450 gal, Tropic Seas Waikiki 864L, Bromine
    Taylor K-2006

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Taylor K-2006

Your FC is too low for your CYA Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart When lowering pH go easy, 2 quarts sounds like a lot for 20,000 gallons. Try 2 cups first.

I hope you aren't using trichlor as your signature says. Your CYA is already too high. Also the mineral ~thing~ can go as well.
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

3. Back To Top    #3

I am using trichlor tabs. I know it's a bad word on this site, but I just got this house with a pool and was left with a big bucket of this tabs and have been just maintaining what the previous owners were doing. Wanted to give as much info as possible about my setup in my signature.
    Memphis, TN.
    Pool IG, 20K gallon, Gunite. Triton Sand filter, Pentair Pump, Polaris 280, Doheny Discovery Dolphin, Chlorinating Liquid, Rock Water Feature, New Plaster 2015
    Taylor K-2006

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

but I just got this house with a pool and was left with a big bucket of this tabs and have been just maintaining what the previous owners were doing.
    I remember a Simpsons episode where Homer got sick from eating some spoiled food but had a lot left over so he had to keep eating it.

Ditch the pucks. Please read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

You really need to stop on the Trichlor now, you can save it and use it later (while on vacation, or in the spring if CYA drops over the winter due to rain dilution, etc.) At 80 ppm CYA you are already well over the suggested CYA range, and getting close to the unmaintainable levels, and with every trichlor puck it just keeps going up.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes, add MA, add liquid chlorine/bleach, and take the pucks out ASAP.

Then, ditch the Taylor book. Try using PoolMath instead:
    Pool School - PoolMath

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks everyone. I'm ready to make the switch off the tabs. I am a little gun shy with all this stuff, but I'm ready. I swung in the pool store on my lunch break just see of they even sold liquid chlorine and the guy said, "I wish, it's good stuff, state law in TN doesn't allow it". Anyway, guess I'm going with bleach.

I did have a few questions that might be kind of dumb so bear with me:

-If trichlor tabs lower the PH, why am continually getting 7.8-8.0 PH levels and adding MA to bring the PH down? Maybe my area's water is just high PH?

-Why don't they make tabs that DON'T add CYA?
    Memphis, TN.
    Taylor K-2006

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

How new is your plaster? They raise pH for the first year or so. Also water features/spas. Also, if you keep adding acid the TA will drop and you might find a happy place even with bleach. 7.8 is an ok place to be.

They do (kinda). Cal-Hypo (adds CH) and lithium hypochlorite is supposedly super expensive. They are both powders.
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL

9. Back To Top    #9

It's at least about 4 months old. The previous owner told me they had resurfaced recently, but I didn't get an exact time frame so I don't know for sure. Spa is separate from pool, but I do have a rock waterfall water feature that flows when the pump runs.
    Memphis, TN.
    Taylor K-2006

10. Back To Top    #10

New numbers after adding MA and bleach over the past couple days. I also replaced some water to try to get the CYA level down.

FC: 9
    CC: 0
    PH: 7.5
    TA: 80
    CYA: 70
    CH: 110
    Memphis, TN.
    Taylor K-2006

11. Back To Top    #11

Glad that pH is down. How does your water look?

12. Back To Top    #12

Very clear

13. Back To Top    #13

Those numbers look good, however, because your FC dropped so low, would you try an OCLT to make sure that there is nothing bad going on? Here's how:

Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT)

14. Back To Top    #14

I performed this test this morning when I saw your reply. I did last nights test around 730. The sun was going down, but it was not dark. Did this mornings test at about 645 am, well before any sunlight was hitting the pool. FC was 8.0.

Will this work? I can do it again tonight and follow the exact instructions if need be.

15. Back To Top    #15

Sounds good. If you didn't make any additions after that evening test, it should be okay. Any time you are unsure, you can do that test as a check.

16. Back To Top    #16

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog43 View Post
    Thanks everyone. I'm ready to make the switch off the tabs. I am a little gun shy with all this stuff, but I'm ready. I swung in the pool store on my lunch break just see of they even sold liquid chlorine and the guy said, "I wish, it's good stuff, state law in TN doesn't allow it". Anyway, guess I'm going with bleach.

I did have a few questions that might be kind of dumb so bear with me:

-If trichlor tabs lower the PH, why am continually getting 7.8-8.0 PH levels and adding MA to bring the PH down? Maybe my area's water is just high PH?

-Why don't they make tabs that DON'T add CYA?
    Head over to Home Depot and see if they sell "chlorinating liquid". Compare prices (and make sure the Julian date isn't very old on the box). I think the guy thought you were asking for chlorine gas - his answer doesn't sound right to me.
    8,500gal plaster in-ground with attached spa, two floor drains, one skimmer. Chlorine, City Water.
    Pentair WhisperFlo 1hp Pump, MagnaTek Midcentury EPlus motor, Pentair CleanNClear 200SF Cartridge filter, Purex Triton MiniMax 250 Gas Heater, Pentair SunLite, AutoFill.
    Kreepy Krauly Cruiser, TF-100 with SpeedStir. :D

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by MarianParoo View Post
    Sounds good. If you didn't make any additions after that evening test, it should be okay. Any time you are unsure, you can do that test as a check.
    I didn't make any additions after the test and it had been several hours since I had added anything. What about my CH levels, should I be adding anything to get it up some?
    Memphis, TN.
    Taylor K-2006

18. Back To Top    #18

TFP Guide

Yes, you should get it up to 250-350. You can use Cal-Hypo, certain de-icers or Lowes/Home Depot might have "Calcium Hardness Increaser".

Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

19. Back To Top    #19

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    I remember a Simpsons episode where Homer got sick from eating some spoiled food but had a lot left over so he had to keep eating it.

Ditch the pucks.
    Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Sorry for not adding anything helpful, but you are in good hands and on the verge of making great choices regarding your pool care.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bruce View Post
    Yes, you should get it up to 250-350. You can use Cal-Hypo, certain de-icers or Lowes/Home Depot might have "Calcium Hardness Increaser".

Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
    I already have some Calcium Chloride so I'll start adding some of that in. Thanks.
    Memphis, TN.
    Taylor K-2006

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast