Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: POOL water too high.. How to drain? What do the levers do?

1. Back To Top    #1

Question POOL water too high.. How to drain? What do the levers do?

OK... the pool water is too high in my pool, so the skimmer door isn't functioning correctly. How do I lower the water?

Do I need an external water pump, or can I just drain with one of the many levers I have?

The main pool has one skimmer and two smaller floor drains The spa has two of the same style floor drains as well.

I have a few levers

1. main drain lever
    2. Skimmer lever
    3. Spa Suction lever
    4. ( i think return spa or pool lever)

Any id
    San Juan Mandalay Bay / Saltwater Fiberglass IG / Installed 2012 / 6600G / Depth 5.7 / Digital Nano #75041 / RC 35.22 / Sta-Rite SuperMax 2HP 1-Speed / Hayward C12002 Cartridge Filter / AquaCal 74K BTU / Silencer Air Blower 1.5HP / Taylor K-2005

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: POOL water too high.. How to drain? What do the levers do?

I am not that familiar with cartridge filters, so excuse me. In the interest of your time issue:

Do you have the ability to backwash or waste?

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Most cartridge filters do not have a way to backwash or pump to waste. That being said, some do have a hose bib or a valve installed to allow pumping water out. It may be best to post a picture of your pool equipment - especially of the pump and filter areas - and we can see if you have an easy way to pump some water out.

If you don't have something as above, you will need some type of pump to pump excess water out -or you may be able to siphon is out.
    Gene
    ​12,300 gal IG play pool - Pebbletec - built 10/1999 || Hayward S360SX 36" sand filter || Hayward Ecostar SP3400 VSP || A&A In-Floor cleaning system || Quik Water Leveler || Quik Dek-clor (limited use)
    TF-100 testkit / Speedstir - A good test kit is not an expense, it's an investment

4. Back To Top    #4

I don't think you can backwash a cartridge filter. Here is what i quickly googled. This is how I clean my cartridge at least.

There is no backwash valve on a cartridge filter because today's pool filter cartridges aren't built for backwards flow. Instead, the pump is shut off, air bleeder opened to drain the tank, lid removed, cartridge(s) removed, hosed thoroughly top to bottom, and replaced.
    San Juan Mandalay Bay / Saltwater Fiberglass IG / Installed 2012 / 6600G / Depth 5.7 / Digital Nano #75041 / RC 35.22 / Sta-Rite SuperMax 2HP 1-Speed / Hayward C12002 Cartridge Filter / AquaCal 74K BTU / Silencer Air Blower 1.5HP / Taylor K-2005

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok, Simmer. Can you get a siphon going? You can use a garden hose or your bigger vacuum hose if you have one, to set it up. Submerge the tubing/hose into the pool to fill all of it with water. Then, leave one end in the pool, cover the other end with your hand and go somewhere in your yard that is lower than the pool depth. Release your hand and you should get a siphon effect so it drains.

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Let's slow down and get a picture of OP's equipment pad. There may be a valve that can be opened to send water to waste (mine has a spigot plumbed into it).
    8,500gal plaster in-ground with attached spa, two floor drains, one skimmer. Chlorine, City Water.
    Pentair WhisperFlo 1hp Pump, MagnaTek Midcentury EPlus motor, Pentair CleanNClear 200SF Cartridge filter, Purex Triton MiniMax 250 Gas Heater, Pentair SunLite, AutoFill.
    Kreepy Krauly Cruiser, TF-100 with SpeedStir. :D

7. Back To Top    #7

Simmer read your response correct me if wrong but are you saying "take cartridge filters out of pump, replace lid, tighten etc, then run system without cartridges but with bottom pump drain exit open to allow pump water to drain thereby exiting the pool water at much faster clip / volume than merely through garden hose at the plumbed-in spigot spot on PCV pipe" ? thanks
    Blue haven kidney style 16,000 gal gunnite including Spa, test Kit TF - 100
    Built 2000 deep end 7.5 feet, 2 steps at shallow end
    Original SWG then convert to chlorine
    Pentair Clean & Clear cartridge filter (4)
    Blue Haven Teledyne Laars Platinum II heater

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

If you have a hose bib plumbed into the pool system, that's the way to go.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit