Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sta-Rite heater won't stay lit

1. Back To Top    #1

Sta-Rite heater won't stay lit

Can anyone help with my heater? It will fire up fine but only stays lit for 2-3 minutes and then shuts off. The "service heater" light comes on. Thermostat?

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Sta-Rite heater won't stay lit

Open up the unit and flip the round top over and see if any of the status LED's are lit. One could be lit which could potentially tell you what's going on.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

3. Back To Top    #3

Bottom right hand corner of the circuit board, LED11 is lite up RED and LED 10, in middle of board is lit up GREEN

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

OK well I had hoped to see one of the other LEDs lit. How old is your heater? Natural or propane gas?
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

5. Back To Top    #5

It's probably 6-8 years old. I bought this house used from previous owner who is a pool builder and installed. It worked fine last winter. One item of note... it flooded here in Houston this past April and there was standing water for a few hours up probably 6-8" on the heater. It stays lit anywhere from 30 seconds to 3-4 minutes.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

I would check to see if there is water in the canister. Remove the bottom bolt from the header and see if water comes out. If it does, it could mean you might have a leaking heat exchanger in which case the unit is done for.

The unit was never completely submerged was it? Water completely covering it.
    Paul

7. Back To Top    #7

No never completely submerged. I would say just 6-8" up the sides. Ok I'll try that tomorrow and see what I find.

8. Back To Top    #8

When you say header, you're referring to the manifold correct?

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by Bdurdin65 View Post
    When you say header, you're referring to the manifold correct?
    Yes.
    Paul

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

See the 4 bolts under my hand? The lowest bolt is the one Paul is referring to. You may also want to check the therm regulator. Its what my finger is pointing to. Just unscrew that cap, there is a spring in there so careful once you get the cap off.

Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy/Zodiac, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

11. Back To Top    #11

Ok so good news I guess... No water came out when I unscrewed the bolt on the bottom. I removed the therm regulator as well but how do I tell if it is bad or not?
    Attachment 54334

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

I hold it with a pair of pliers and then use a lighter to heat the bottom of it and see if the opens. Some people also put them in boiling water as well. Either way it will tell you if that part is working.

If it has a scale build up on it then likely it will have issues opening up.
    Paul

13. Back To Top    #13

I dipped it in boiling water, it opens up ok.

14. Back To Top    #14

In the Industry

Then that part is working ok then.

Inside the heater is a metal box which houses some wiring and the Fenwall module. There is an LED on the Fenwal. After to fires up and then shuts down, is the LED blinking?
    Paul

15. Back To Top    #15

So I open up the housing and fire up the heater to see if I can see anything else going on. I haven't opened up the metal box yet.... and I see this.... can't be good huh?
    IMG_2250.JPG

16. Back To Top    #16

Here is a close up of that area with heat off...
    IMG_2252.jpg

17. Back To Top    #17

There is nothing blinking on the Fenwall. It heats up for a few minutes then clicks off, and LED8 blinks yellow on the control board until it fires back up ~ 15 seconds later.

18. Back To Top    #18

In the Industry

Oh that unit is done for. Looks like the top has rusted away and no you do not have a sealed canister. I wouldn't do anything but replace the heater.

Glad you posted the pictures. Pictures are worth a thousand words. Many times we hunt for answers to help people here and then when a picture or two gets posted, the problem becomes clearer.
    Paul

19. Back To Top    #19

I figured that was the case when I saw the corrosion and fire showing through. Just curious... is this whats making it shut down? Or could it be something else and just a matter of time before the corrosion gets worse? I can't even get it to turn on now. I will replace the heater. Sta-bil or Mastertemp a better heater?

20. Back To Top    #20

In the Industry

With the hole the blower isn't working like it should.

If you have the space, invest in a Raypak. Much better simpler unit.
    Paul

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast