Fiberoptic pool light/lens is leaking... what are my options?

Apr 14, 2011
The Bluegrass State
I've got an old Polaris After Dark fiber system (that I literally never use) and, of course, it's causing my pool to drop about an inch a day. The dye test shows it sucking the dye in around the front edge of the lens, not the side of the fitting... literally right into the edge where the lens meets the housing.

What are my options? I'm fine with plugging it for the time being but...

1. How do I remove this? It looks like it has four notches on the surrounding area of the lens that a special tool might be required to get it to unscrew. There are no screws visible anywhere on this light housing like there are on the other lights. This light is mounted in the fiberglass steps, not the wall. The lens basically looks like this with a plastic surround: https://www.acepools.com/products/b10724

2. Do I have to drain the water below this level to even attempt to remove it?

3. Is this a worn O-ring or something easy to fix? Where would I even start to find it? Looks like all fiber light systems are obsolete now. Like I said, I don't use the lights so I honestly don't care what it takes to stop the money-- err, I mean the water from draining out of the pool.

4. If not, is thing just mounted in a standard 1.5" return line with some threads that I can just screw a cap into like the other return lines when winterized?

Thanks as always for the assist. I understand every pool is different so just looking for some general info and options here. It's slim pickings on the hunt for info about fiber optic pool lights on Google.

Hi -- if you don't have the tool a needle nose player will extract. Use a Hayward threaded plug Oring, they are the same size. (That will do providing the faceplate isn't the culprit, super rare)

You can drop h20 lever or reinstall lense while "blowing" the illuminater tower "feed" pipe, as if you were doing a no drain winterization.

Are you sure this is the leak? I have never seen water lose attributed to a fiber lense & a bit skeptical of 1" per day through fiber lense.

Ray

Great info, thanks. I'm about 99% sure this is the leak because I paid a leak detection company a pretty penny to drop a hydrophone in the pool and tell me where the leak was, which they did in 5 minutes of arrival. Then they demonstrated the leak with a dye test in front of my eyes. I'm definitely in the wrong business as their hourly rate is many multiples better than mine and I work in tech.

I'll grab a pic and maybe a video tomorrow for more evidence. I don't want to get into a situation where I have a 1.5" pipe dumping water behind my liner because I have the wrong parts or information.

Stay tuned...

Chances are it took the tech 20 yrs & 5 minutes to find your leak...

Water won't go behind the liner - fibers are in an sp1408 bulkhead fitting--- so exterior to pool wall when lense removed, the conduit will flood though.

Any ?s drop a post.

Ray

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.