Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Take down or close?

1. Back To Top    #1

Take down or close?

I have an intex ultraframe 18/52 pool. I live in clarksville tn. most recommend you take the intex pool down every season to avoid damage to the lining or structural damage. however, last year at end of season, after going to the trouble of taking it down, we had a very mild winter. the winter before was rough but still not as bad as some other areas.

personally, I felt it was way more work to drain and take it down than it is to put it up. I almost don't wanna go out and do it again this year if I can avoid it. but still I'm a little scared about it.

I've seen youtube videos of where ppl just drained it down below the holes in the liner used for pump connections, and cover with netting or a winterizing pool cover. the end result was fine for them.

so I just wanted to post here, because I'd like to see your opinions on what you think would be best.

note, I use tapatalk to get on this forum from my phone so the information I provided above is not in my signature. sorry. I had put it there before and was told by some of you that they couldn't see it.

vinyl soft sided pool
    intex 1500 gph sand filter and intex swg at 1500 gph.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Take down or close?

I think it's harder on the liners to take them down and fold them up than it is to just leave them up. I've had mine up for 3 years with no issues.
    25000 gallon free-form gunite
    Jandy Stealth pump/CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HD heater
    Jandy AquaLink RS automation

3. Back To Top    #3

I've had mine up for 3 years in New York and have had no issues. I drain below the inlet for the pump

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by jeffchap View Post
    I think it's harder on the liners to take them down and fold them up than it is to just leave them up. I've had mine up for 3 years with no issues.

That's the reason why we chose our Intex. I know several locals that leave theirs up over the winter with no problems. I plan on leaving ours up but storing the pump, SWG, and multi port valve from sand filter inside my garage. The only reason I would take it down would be if we upgraded our size.
    Little ole baby pool. 14' x 42" Pro Series 3300G pool. AG Vinyl with metal frame. Currently installed are a Intex pump/sand filter SF60110 3000GPH and Intex SWG ECO8110. Filled with city water. TF100 Test kit.

5. Back To Top    #5

would the original cover that came with the pool be sufficient for use as a winter cover or should I get a winter cover? what about those big air pillows that claim to absorb freezing water from top of pool cover that you put on top? do they work?

vinyl soft sided pool

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

The problem with the covers that they come with is that they have holes in them. Over the winter as leaves and snow pile up on them, they will sink into the water. Then as it warms up, that water on top gets all black and nasty. You have to pump it off before you can open up your pool.

If your can put something underneath it to keep it from sinking, like those pillows, then it works okay. I use my solar blanket under mine.
    25000 gallon free-form gunite
    Jandy Stealth pump/CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HD heater
    Jandy AquaLink RS automation

7. Back To Top    #7

I left my Coleman steel framed pool up last winter and it got pretty cold here in Western NY. It survived with no problem. The pillow I used did not fare well and I am going to use something else this winter to keep the winter cover from sinking too far.
    Coleman 16' x 48" power steel pool.

8. Back To Top    #8

yah. I'm looking into the pillows. thus size pool I'm only gonna need one, but I need some cord to time it off. do they come with cord or do you have to buy it separate?

vinyl soft sided pool

9. Back To Top    #9

I think you have to get rope to tie the pillow in place. The pillow I used was pretty useless by the end of winter because it was mostly deflated and did not do much to hold the cover up. This winter I am going to try using an Intex raft upside down in the pool to see if it works any better.
    Coleman 16' x 48" power steel pool.

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

I left my 18' and my 26' up. I drained about a foot, closed the valves and removed thes and filter and pump. I didn't cover it. I might cover it during the fall to avoid the leaves. I had a minimal amount of algae last year, because I had some leaves all winter. I think I will remove the cover after the leaves are done, not sure.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

Tire tubes w a yoga ball- pretty bulletproof😀

12. Back To Top    #12

I would just leave it. mine is already drained down quite a bit cuz of vacuuming to waste. I went out of town for 3 weeks and nobody took care of it or maintained it.
    so I came back home to a green pool. I got it cleared up tho. gonna leave enough water in there so the pump can run, so I can bring all the levels up for winter.

vinyl soft sided pool

13. Back To Top    #13

So you are saying we don't need to cover it after all the leaves have fallen? I live on the outskirts of town. Will dirt not get in my pool if I don't cover it?
    VinDeeLoo
    7600 gallons ~ AG ~ Summer Waves Cartridge C Filter ~ using pump that came with our Summer Waves 18 x 48 pool ~ Taylor K-2006 (SpeedStir & Sample Sizer) ~ no well water or water restrictions

14. Back To Top    #14

no imean leave it covered all winter. don't uncover. and try and cover it before the leaves fall. like beginning of next month like around the 1st or 3rd, so they can't get in there.

vinyl soft sided pool

15. Back To Top    #15

Do you use a winter cover?

VinDeeLoo
    7600 gallons ~ AG ~ Summer Waves Cartridge C Filter ~ using pump that came with our Summer Waves 18 x 48 pool ~ Taylor K-2006 (SpeedStir & Sample Sizer) ~ no well water or water restrictions

16. Back To Top    #16

I'm going to yes. this will be my first yr closing. I took down last year. too much work.

vinyl soft sided pool

17. Back To Top    #17

TFP Guide

It's usually recommended to not close the pool until the water temperature is under 60. Then it's recommended to open it before the water reaches 60.

18. Back To Top    #18

I've taken mine down the last two winters. This year I plan to leave it up. My pool is 15', and I bought an 18' cover so the cover can lay on the water (lowered below the intake opening) with plenty of overhang.

I also bought a pillow (came as a package deal) and will have a couple of the Intex Sit & Float deals that the seats have torn off of all tied together to raise the center. If they make it through the winter - wonderful - if not, oh well. Also got a leaf net that I'll leave on until the leaves stop- lots of trees around!

Here in Maryland we can get everything from -5-degree snaps to daytime 60's, and have had close to
    3 feet of snow at once within the past few years. So - the point is anything can happen, but I should be able to pull off the leaf net and dump leaves off and shop vac water off the cover regularly enough to keep any gunk and water mostly off.

We'll see if I was successful next spring!
    Suzy
    Intex Metal Frame Pool - 15' x 48" - 4440 gallons, with the Krystal Clear Cartridge Filter Pump 1500 gph
    Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System - 7000 gallons. TF-100 test kit
    Installed June 2014 - complete newbie to pool ownership

19. Back To Top    #19

TFP Guide

My 18' made it just fine the winter before last. We had below zero temps (-15 more than once) for a few weeks, and it was fine. I didn't have it covered.

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by PAGirl View Post
    It's usually recommended to not close the pool until the water temperature is under 60. Then it's recommended to open it before the water reaches 60.
    yah. I am going to wait to close till next month, either beginning or middle. and I will open mid to late march.

vinyl soft sided pool

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast