Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sand Filter and SWG

1. Back To Top    #1

Sand Filter and SWG

Speaking of sand, my problem is with a new Intex 16'x32'x52" that came with a sand filter. I added the SWG.
    The type of sand I used was play ground sand from Lowe's but I am not producing enough chlorine. My SWG says my salt is low but I have ample salt.
    My flows go to almost nil and then I am daily having to backwash to get the flow to normal. I am thinking my low salt is really a low flow problem.
    Is this a type of sand problem?
    I am ready to buy the pool sand at Lowe's for $1.00/# bit want to see if I am missing something.
    Any help is appreciated.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Sand Filter and SWG

You definitely need to use #20 silica sand and not play sand. The low salt is probably because you need to clean the SWG cell with vinegar. The reason the filter is clogging up quickly is likely because there is not enough chlorine in the pool and algae is growing. This is how we kill algae, SLAM

Start here in Pool School
    ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
    Pool School - Getting Started
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Ok, I will change the sand to #20 and clean my SWG. Yes, I am growing algae and been shocking with bleach but am behind the curve as I am working to balance my water.
    Thanks!

Intex 32'x16'x52", 14Kgal, 2150 GPH stock pump, Intex SWG, generic wide skimmer mounted above sewn seam, hard piped 1.5" pvc

4. Back To Top    #4

Your focus now should be killing algae.. don't sweat the tweaking too much as the algae will become more and more a problem the longer you wait. You can tweak and balance after the water is cleared of the algae.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok, will do. I am going to change out my sand now. You guys/gals are great.
    Thanks.
    Intex 32'x16'x52", 14Kgal, 2150 GPH stock pump, Intex SWG, generic wide skimmer mounted above sewn seam, hard piped 1.5" pvc

6. Back To Top    #6

Decided to wait on the sand replacement and SLAM to fight the algae but need more help on the SLAM.

Added 15 ea 3 qt bleach bottles from Walmart called Top Job ($1.00/ea). The bottle has no chemical reference as to contents.

My current readings:
    FC 3 1 drop w 10 mil
    CC 0.5 1 drop w 10 mil
    PH 7.1 10 drops to 7.6
    TA 130
    CH 130
    CYA 60 assume now b/c 65 this am, drained 4", refilled

Now I bought 15 more bleach bottles at Walmart but changed to generic 121 OZ labeled sodium hypochlorite 8.25% ($2.94/ea).

Question - do I have the right bleach type or should I go back to the Top Job? I discovered the math sheet and do not know what to input for either bleach product I have here.

My reasoning was I had a cheap bleach it wasn't powerful enough to help me slam. Now I am concerned the 8.25% is the wrong product due to low chlorine content.

7. Back To Top    #7

The generic 8.25% is just fine... You don't need any other as long it doesn't have any scent or Splash-less comment in the label
    8,400 gal Intex, 3K GPH pump, 16" sand filter, SWG CG-28669, TF100 test kit, speed stir, K-1766 Taylor salt test.

The corner stone of TFP
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

8. Back To Top    #8

Great, thank you.

9. Back To Top    #9

You also can take a look at the Julian day stamped in the bottles, but from Wal-Mart it should be fresh
    8,400 gal Intex, 3K GPH pump, 16" sand filter, SWG CG-28669, TF100 test kit, speed stir, K-1766 Taylor salt test.

The corner stone of TFP

10. Back To Top    #10

Wow, very informative, thank you. Where is the stamp on the Great Value bottle? I see a raised stamp on the bottom under the recycle triangle and it is "210-21". Also see a black ink stamp on the neck of the bottle just below the handle "16 236 09:32 B2 TX-01". Not sure how to interpret this.

11. Back To Top    #11

It should start with the year and then the Julian day.. Most times you can find the stamp at the neck or sometimes at the bottom

It should be the black ink stamp

The corner stone of TFP

12. Back To Top    #12

Got it. It is on the neck.

13. Back To Top    #13

8-23-2016

The corner stone of TFP

14. Back To Top    #14

Economy bleach and especially if it does not have a percentage of hypochlorite listed is usually under 6% - thus the low price. You're buying water then, not chlorine. It might work for clothes, but isn't concentrated enough for pools. Go for the good stuff. They usually have 12.5% in the pool section labeled "chlorinating liquid" though this late in the season they may not be restocking.
    16X32 AB, Pentair SD filter, 3/4hp Pentair Optiflo, CircuPool RJ30+ swg, TF 100