Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Wait until pool water is 60 degrees to close?

1. Back To Top    #1

Wait until pool water is 60 degrees to close?

I'm in Little Rock and just bought a new cover and was looking forward to closing after labor day when I freshen up on the closing instructions in this forum.

Seems to me the cost of cleaning up green pool in May is less than the cost of maintaining a pool for the next four weeks while i wait for the water to drop that low.

Is there anything wrong with the way I'm thinking, ie- something else to consider?
    Intex 22' x 52" - Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump - flow rate: 2,150 gal per hour
    TFTest Kits TF-100
    Waiting to stop relocating until I build my dream pool!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Wait until pool water is 60 degrees to close?

I can't imagine a reasonable tradeoff between the cost of chlorine over a month being more expensive in inital cost and time of doing it than chancing opening to a green pool and the same costs involved in doing all that.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

How much do you estimate it will cost you to maintain your pool for another month? Something seems wrong here
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

4. Back To Top    #4

Thats certainly one way to lool at it.

Look at my posts and you'll see a black to clear pool in seven days. Maybe 10 gallons of bleach. I'll have the time next spring.

What does it cost to run a pool a month now- ten gallons of bleach and my time. And the pump.

Intex 22' x 52" - Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump - flow rate: 2,150 gal per hour
    TFTest Kits TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

My energy costs is about 9.8 cents per kilowatt by the way for the engineers out there. I think I've read other forums about running a pump. While I always thought it costs about $20 a month to run it, sure does seem like about $50.

TFTest Kits TF-100

6. Back To Top    #6

You have to do what you think is best for you. 5 minutes a day to add bleach in the fall or a week straight of slam in the spring.

How much you running the pump? Only need 2-4 hours now per day VS 24 hours in a slam.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    You have to do what you think is best for you. 5 minutes a day to add bleach in the fall or a week straight of slam in the spring.

How much you running the pump? Only need 2-4 hours now per day VS 24 hours in a slam.
    Thanks, running the pump significantly less will help. I was thinking it wasn't wise to run less than 8 hours a day.

TFTest Kits TF-100

8. Back To Top    #8

Just run the pump a couple of hours to mix in the bleach and filter the water, vacuum once a week if there is any debris on the floor. If you close now the pool will probably be green in a week or two. The longer it is green, the longer it takes to clear.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

I used to do that with an above ground pool because I could kill the algae in the spring, let it settle and siphon the debris out on to the lawn and not clog the filter.
    SWG: CircuPool (May 2014) SI30+Plus; 3000ppm seems ideal;
    My Ideal Specs:
    FC 5; PH 7.5-7.8; TA 100; CH 350; CYA 75; = SI ~ 0.19
    14,000 gal, in ground, plaster, Cartridge filter
    TAYLOR K - 2006

10. Back To Top    #10

I have a couple of thoughts on this process. So I have had this pool open for probably 2 weeks with only two to four hours of the pump running a day. Is there any thought that 2 hours is not enough to circulate any chlorine that you have to add?

The pool had a little algae sprout earlier this week. Scrubbed it, shocked it with bleach, and then vacuumed to waste.

I may have a little difficulty reading the color chart to tell how much chlorine is in the pool. It may have gotten below the minimum.

My wife is colorblind I think, so I just ordered more R-871😀

TFTest Kits TF-100

11. Back To Top    #11

2 hours is plenty of time to mix added chlorine.

LOL! Yes, the FAS/DPD chlorine test solves all color blindness problems!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

12. Back To Top    #12

I finally got the R-871, and let me say it was rather quickly [thank you], and I think the problem with reading the chart sometimes is that my chlorine is well over 5 ppm [the top of the chart].

I'm staring and asking my wife it is 3 or 5...and it's 8.5!

Anyway, I'll give it a shot leaving this pool open another month. Thanks for the tips!

TFTest Kits TF-100

13. Back To Top    #13

I'm closing it today folks. Thanks much expense to keep it open... and time. Those who suggest leaving it open love your pools more than I. Even if I have a black pool in April- I'm ready, see my picture from April 2016

TFTest Kits TF-100

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

In my opinion, pool closing is also an aesthenic issue but one that isn't often mentioned. I think one difference is leaving an inground pool open is just sort of nice to look at, whereas you probably aren't getting to look at much more than the sides of your pool, right? So closing it early isn't denying you that view and will save you money.
    Maddie- TFP Guide. 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

15. Back To Top    #15

Can we talk the forum moderators into allowing a "like" or "thanks". Here's to you YippeeSkippy!

TFTest Kits TF-100

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by cfclay View Post
    Can we talk the forum moderators into allowing a "like" or "thanks". Here's to you YippeeSkippy!
    I would like this post, but alas ...
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach