Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: After the storm

1. Back To Top    #1

After the storm

Well, those in Florida and closer to the coast go it a lot worse than I did I'm sure, but right now my pool looks a little sad.

I worked all day as the storm came through and got home at about 8 to find my pool filled to the top, leaves and stuff all over the bottom and cloudy like I haven't seen it ever.

Because of the poor concrete work of our patios (previous owner of the house) in heavy rains water flows off the patios and into the pool at two points. It's easy to tell because water pools at those two points and the wall of the pool is stained where water flows in.

So, after scooping a lot of leaves I've set the Dolphin M-5 to run. So far most of the leaves ave been picked up, but the water is still cloudy. I brought it up to shock level and will see how it looks int he morning. With a little luck a SLAM will not be needed.

Again, crossing my fingers for those who had a lot more problems than I did.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: After the storm

I've got minor debris, considering. Didn't notice that my auto cleaner hoses disconnected from each other until a few minutes ago, and all that rain has my water WAY too cold to mess with it tonight! So I'll deal with it tomorrow.

My numbers are surprisingly good. I worried that the deluge would affect my FC so I threw some bleach in, and left SWG on its timer to do its thing. Here's where I am today:

FC - 10.5
    CC - .5
    PH - 7.5
    TA - 70
    CYA - 50
    Salt - 3000

So, just need to knock some more water out of pool (brimming right now), clear up the debris and get CYA back up to 70. Letting SWG stay off tonight. Not too bad!
    Kelly, Tampa FL
    15' by 4' Intex above ground metal frame, about 5300 gallons
    Intex 120V Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump & Saltwater System CG-28679 with E.C.O.
    TF100 Kit and Speedstir
    Intex Auto Cleaner - works great!

3. Back To Top    #3

Good luck, tim1055!

4. Back To Top    #4

Well, I woke up to find the robot cartridges filled with leavers and dirt. Cleaned them out and set him off to work more. The water appears clear as normal, but I won't test until I get home from work tonight.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

5. Back To Top    #5

Great job, Tim! Btw, I love my Dolphin too. Next time you may want to use a net to get the big stuff out before doing the Dolphin. Also, before the storm, drop the level to a few inches below the waterline tile before a major storm (depression, storm, or hurricane) based on how much water is projected for your area. That has helped me the last couple of summers. I just have the task as part of my hurricane preparedness list. When Jan starts freaking and going to get water and extra canned goods, I turn my focus to the pool and outside stuff. I also run a 4hr boost on my SWG to make sure there is extra chlorine in the pool. As for the pooling of water when the pool overflows, I have that too. Just remember, if it runs back into the pool, that's better than it running into the house.

I wonder if it would be useful to share my list with the rest of the forum, but I don't know how many people are in hurricane zones on here.

----
    15' x 29' 10,300 gal w/ spa, IG-Plaster (Stonescapes Tropics Blue), 2spd WhisperFlo pump (1.5hp WFDS-26), Pentair Clean and Clear CC200 cartridge filter, Pentair MasterTemp 300BTU heater, Clear o3, RS-8 iAqualink

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by ITR View Post
    Great job, Tim! Btw, I love my Dolphin too. Next time you may want to use a net to get the big stuff out before doing the Dolphin. Also, before the storm, drop the level to a few inches below the waterline tile before a major storm (depression, storm, or hurricane) based on how much water is projected for your area. That has helped me the last couple of summers. I just have the task as part of my hurricane preparedness list. When Jan starts freaking and going to get water and extra canned goods, I turn my focus to the pool and outside stuff. I also run a 4hr boost on my SWG to make sure there is extra chlorine in the pool. As for the pooling of water when the pool overflows, I have that too. Just remember, if it runs back into the pool, that's better than it running into the house.

I wonder if it would be useful to share my list with the rest of the forum, but I don't know how many people are in hurricane zones on here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks.

I did net out as much as I could but he bottom of the pool was covered in dirt/sand and pieces of leaves. I did drop the level as low as I dared without pulling air into the skimmers.

Our lot is the lowes in the community, so all water flows to us. I do give the previous owner credit, he had the lot set up so no water runs to the house, it all runs to a 24" pipe that runs to the street/lake.

As a 32 year resident of Miami/Ft. Lauderdale and a Hurricane Andrew participant I respect storms and am usually prepared. Luckily for this storm no generator use was needed.

7. Back To Top    #7

I hear you. 20 years in FL myself....granted southern FL seems to get more activity than we do up here.

I'm curious...Jan has talked about a French drain or draining to the street. Are you willing to share how that's set up? I'd like to start thinking about it now so we can tackle it in a few months when it gets cooler.

As for the skimmer...I just turn the skimmer off if I need to drop it that far and let the main drains do the circulation....but I have an enclosure...so except for the occasional leaf we get from the potted plants, that works for us. Probably don't want to be sucking debris down that I suppose.

----
    15' x 29' 10,300 gal w/ spa, IG-Plaster (Stonescapes Tropics Blue), 2spd WhisperFlo pump (1.5hp WFDS-26), Pentair Clean and Clear CC200 cartridge filter, Pentair MasterTemp 300BTU heater, Clear o3, RS-8 iAqualink

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

I think we got a little more rain than you Tim as we are near the Richland/Sumter County line. I wasn't patient enough to stand and wait for my pump to lower water level. I went out between squals and turned off pump and set filter to waist. I set a timer to check on it every 30 mins. Got it lowered by about 4 inches or so...bottom of skimmers and closed filter again. Filled back up a little high as of this morning.

We are on 26 acres and our slope is like a big bowl down to what used to be a 2 acre pond until the flood of 10/2015 which destroyed our 355 ft dam. Because of the slope we put a long French drain at the high side of our pool deck. Drains well....buried and drains downhill from the pool. Have never had any problem with runoff getting into pool.

I think the house originally had a French drain system to help with water but over time with erosion it's probably something we need to re-evaluate.
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by ITR View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think it would be nice for you to share that information. We do have quite a few members in hurricane zones and usually we get requests on how to prep for a storm and how to clean up after. It is also useful when flooding is predicted and flooding can occur anywhere. I think we did not see many questions on Hermine as it is a small storm.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

Yikes... This happened in Bradenton. They were in the middle of their build when storm hit.

image.jpg
    Kelly, Tampa FL
    15' by 4' Intex above ground metal frame, about 5300 gallons
    Intex 120V Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump & Saltwater System CG-28679 with E.C.O.
    TF100 Kit and Speedstir
    Intex Auto Cleaner - works great!

11. Back To Top    #11

Ohhhhh Kelly!! How awful for those folks. Yet, since its still under construction the PB's insurance should pay to fix it.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

12. Back To Top    #12

It wasn't just this storm only but all summer long we've been having to drain water down after some really torrential rains. I've been house bound for a while (got a new knee 10 days ago, woowoo!!) and the pool has been left on autopilot for a little while.

Today after Skippy drained more and vacuumed the pool I finally had a chance to do a full set of tests. Needed to add calcium (which I hadn't really tested all that often this summer) and tweak the pH/TA too. Probably could use a bit more CYA but in no rush on that. Pool looks great otherwise <whew!>

Other than a LOT of debris on the pool deck needing clearing, at least all the flowers are well hydrated and blooming!
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain