Hot Tub Pump Low Flow

Terpjr

Aug 6, 2016
Delanson, New York
I just installed a new Balboa 501Z retrofit kit to replace my spa control.

I have an XP-2, two speed pump which, prior to my old control's meltdown, worked fine.

Spa has been sitting for 2 weeks waiting for parts.

When I started up the new control today, it went into prime mode, seemed to work on low speed, though flow felt low...I'm not too sure how much flow to feel on low speed,
when it switched to high speed it would try to run - sound like it gained speed for half a second then switch to a lower power, did this a few times, and then clicked off - sounding like an overheat protection or something.

My thought is
1. It is not an "air lock" type of an issue because I had some flow - correct? Or am I wrong here?

2. It seems like it is not getting adequate voltage...If one leg of my 220 was not working...then it would not work at all? Or am I not thinking correctly?
a. Could the wire supplied by balboa be undersized?
B. Is it likely the my connection is bad? Push connectors seemed to be identical.
C. Is there anything else that could cause this behavior on the pump?

Thanks...

can you check the voltage the pump is receiving? just a simple voltage tester should tell you what is going on :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.