Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Suction side pool cleaner to assist floor pop-ups

1. Back To Top    #1

Suction side pool cleaner to assist floor pop-ups

Hey guys, my pool is a 15k gallon kidney bean kind of shape with largest measurements of 20' x 30'. I have a non variable speed pump, that has a skimmer and main drain, so no dedicated suction inlet for a suction side cleaner. The returns are by way of jets on side of pool, and 19 in-floor pop-up cleaners. I run my pump 4 hours a night, during intense, hot, summer of phoenix. I still have a lot of dirt and some leaves in the bottom of pool. I want to get a suction side cleaner, to work with the in-floor pop up heads. My thought is to run the in-floor pop ups the same time as the suction side cleaner to do double duty cleaning. I understand I will lose my skimmer function. Having the floor clean is much better. What can you guys recommend?
    IG Gunite play pool 15k gallon 20' x 30' , System:3 cartridge filter S8M150, Stenner pump, Fiber optic lights 3 head with color wheel, TF-100 Testkit, CYA-50, FC-6, CH-375, TA-40, PH-7.8

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Suction side pool cleaner to assist floor pop-ups

Any reason why you're not considering a robot?

More expensive up-front but they will generally do a MUCH BETTER job than a suction cleaner and they only need a wall outlet to power them, no excessive pump runtimes...without a variable speed pump and without a dedicated wall port, getting the right flow rate using a skimmer plate and flow diverter is going to be a royal PITA not to mention the vacuum plates almost always pop off when your not there to babysit them.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by danny_b View Post
    My thought is to run the in-floor pop ups the same time as the suction side cleaner to do double duty cleaning. I understand I will lose my skimmer function. Having the floor clean is much better. What can you guys recommend?
    The cleaner would likely get hung up on the heads so probably not a good idea.

I agree with the robotic idea and you might find it does such a good job that you don't need to run the in-floors at all and might save some in energy costs.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

i bet you could save and recoup your money if you installed a variable speed pump, ran it as low as you could, and bought a robot. i don't even use my pop ups anymore because of my robot.
    19K IG Pebbletec with attached spa. 60sqft Cartridge filter, Intelliflow VS, 399k BTU Gas Heater, Pentair IC40. Phoenix, AZ, full sun.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

+1 on the robot.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School