Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bag Filters

1. Back To Top    #1
    SW Indiana

Bag Filters

I may change out my current filter system and found some commercial Filter housings that will accept both cartridge filters and bag filters. The bag filters are very inexpensive and come in all kinds of Micron levels. They have models that meet my GPM needs,

I started looking further and even found some home filter bag systems that meet the GPM requirements for a pool system and 1.5" connectors.

The bag filters should even be less resistance than cartridge so from a technical standpoint it looks like a good choice. My concern is that I do not know if they will hold up to constant FC levels, or if should I need to put in a does of MA to bring down PH.

Anyone have any experience going this route? Do the bags hold up in a swimming pool environment?
    21K Gal, IG, Vinyl, Bleach-Borax-Baking Soda, 3/4HP Hayward pump, Hayward sand filter, 200,000BTU Heater, TF100 Testkit
    "All that we are arises with our thoughts." - Buddha
    “When fate hands you a lemon, make lemonade.” - Dale Carnegie

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Bag Filters

Bag filters can work, but they need to be cleaned more frequently than a cartridge filter and they are much more annoying to clean than a cartridge filter. Because of that, you don't see them around much.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Bag Filters

The problem with bag filters is the square footage, which is going to be much less than in a pleated cart. The mean time between cleaning is going to be much smaller than with a cart for this reason. I have used bag filters on aquaria and found them to be a nightmare in that respect.