Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: fiberglass pool crack

1. Back To Top    #1

fiberglass pool crack

My wife told me just the other day that there was a crack in our Viking Fiberglass pool. She noticed it while swimming. I didn't believe her, I had to jump in and see it for myself. Well, at least it's not leaking. That didn't last long. It's leaking like crazy now.

The most frustrating thing to me is that this is the whole reason why we went with Fiberglass in the first place is that soil in South Texas shifts. A LOT. Almost everyone here has foundation problems with cracking, etc. So why in the world would I build a gunite pool here? Concrete cracks. That's what it does. Like I said, especially here.

We thought Fiberglass would be more forgiving, flex a bit more,etc. Pool is only a year old.

Yes, warranty claim has been submitted, etc. but has anyone else have this problem? I thought Fiberglass was almost impervious to cracking and leaking barring severe circumstances (of which we have none, except for hot and dry, but it's like that here all of the time).

BTW, leak is on shallow end right in the corner between the floor and the wall
    15,000 gallon free form Viking fiberglass pool. Hayward Star-Clear Plus C12002 cartridge filter. Hayward Swim Pure Plus T-15 SWG. Testing with TF-100 Kit. 2 speed 1.5HP Supreme pump. Dolphin Nautilus robotic cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: fiberglass pool crack

oh darn. oh darn oh darn oh darn!

I wonder if it was less a problem with your soil but instead a weak point of backfilling under that corner?
    Maddie 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post
    oh darn. oh darn oh darn oh darn!

I wonder if it was less a problem with your soil but instead a weak point of backfilling under that corner?
    Yeah, I would bet money on this. The guys that installed our pool were absolute clowns who clearly did not know what they were doing. Was horrible to watch. And this is our second crack by the way. The first one happened due to flooding of the shell by a huge amount of rain before it was completely set.
    15,000 gallon free form Viking fiberglass pool. Hayward Star-Clear Plus C12002 cartridge filter. Hayward Swim Pure Plus T-15 SWG. Testing with TF-100 Kit. 2 speed 1.5HP Supreme pump. Dolphin Nautilus robotic cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

How did they fix that first one?
    Maddie 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post
    How did they fix that first one?
    Believe it or not, it was easy (ish) because the pool had half floated out of the hole. So they just moved it out of the hole completely and then repaired it from the inside and the outside. And then put it back in the hole and re-set it. The patch looks horrible, but it works so far

6. Back To Top    #6

Fiberglass pools are very sensitive to cracking if not installed properly
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
    Fiberglass pools are very sensitive to cracking if not installed properly
    This is not good to hear 😢

8. Back To Top    #8

Some of our members (oh Danny, where are you....) have had problems with expansive soils. They have installed micro-irrigation systems to help even out changes in soil moisture and reduce the expansion/contraction of the soil...it may be worth looking into to avoid future cracking.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

9. Back To Top    #9

Yes, indeed, expansive soils must have moisture levels maintained at all times. We have black clay soil and it expands a lot when wet and contracts like crazy when it dries out. Our pool has move and cracked a couple of times. One side moved up about 3/8" for a while. I got a micro-irrigation system from Lowes and a hose timer and run it 3 times a day for 10 to 30 minutes and it works like a charm.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

10. Back To Top    #10

Wow, I don't like hearing this, we have been considering fiberglass pool. Can u tell us how u like or dislike the pool outside of these cracks?

11. Back To Top    #11

Hi JPelizza, I am from Upstate NY as well, just north of Syracuse. We used Royal Fiberglass Pools from Tully NY. They did a great job on ours, and I really believe Jason knows how to properly install a fiberglass pool. We have had no issues with it at all, and its about 4 years old now. I have found that maintaining the pool is very easy, especially after I found this site! If you are considering a fiberglass pool, I would highly recommend them!
    Upstate/Central New York. Roman style IG fiberglass pool, 13X33, 8800 gallons, installed July 2012. Pentair cartridge filter, 1 hp Pentair single speed pump. Taylor K2006 Test kit. Went BBB route in spring of 2013, no problems, no regrets!!!!!!

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

So sorry to hear you're having this issue. We've installed well over 1,000 fiberglass pools, many of which in expansive soils and have never had a pool fail resulting from shrink/swell soil conditions. Based on where the pool failed, it sounds like the it was not properly supported by the backfill material in that corner. Did they backfill with sand or with stone?
    Jason Hughes
    River Pools and Spas
    www.riverpoolsandspas.com

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Hughes View Post
    So sorry to hear you're having this issue. We've installed well over 1,000 fiberglass pools, many of which in expansive soils and have never had a pool fail resulting from shrink/swell soil conditions. Based on where the pool failed, it sounds like the it was not properly supported by the backfill material in that corner. Did they backfill with sand or with stone?
    Sorry, I had forgotten to report back. I suspect this crack was caused by an 11-year old jumping into the pool with a wooden skim board. None the less, Viking stepped up and covered it under warranty. Had to drain the pool and it was a whole ordeal, but you can hardly tell it ever happened.

As it turned out, the leak was in the plumbing as was found later by a leak detection service. It, too, has been repaired and we are now leak free and happy.

Pool was back-filled with sand, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed on it but the two leaks so far have both been (one on return line, one on suction line) where the flex hose met the hard elbows. Both have been replaced.

14. Back To Top    #14

Glad they got it fixed for you!

I'm not "in the industry" but thought sand backfill was not good for fiberglass pools??? Sand washes away and could leave you with a big hole. Not trying to scare you just something to note.

We were very close to installing a fiberglass pool. They are awesome for sure! Concrete was out of the question for us due to freeze/thaw but fiberglass would've been nice. We went vinyl instead due to the ability to customize.
    18'x36' vinyl - 24k gal - Intelliflo 3hp VSP - Pentair C&C 420 cartridge filter - IC40 Salt - EasyTouch 8 - ScreenLogic - Raypak 406btu NG heater - Intellibrite 5G ligths - 4 deck jets - sheer descent - X-Stream Slide 2 - TF100 kit - opened spring 2017

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by Veccster View Post
    Glad they got it fixed for you!

I'm not "in the industry" but thought sand backfill was not good for fiberglass pools??? Sand washes away and could leave you with a big hole. Not trying to scare you just something to note.

We were very close to installing a fiberglass pool. They are awesome for sure! Concrete was out of the question for us due to freeze/thaw but fiberglass would've been nice. We went vinyl instead due to the ability to customize.
    Yes, backfilling with sand is not a good idea. Of course I learned this AFTER my pool was installed. Not much I can do about it now

16. Back To Top    #16

In the Industry

Sand is not a bad material if you make the right preparations to help it. Drainage around any pool is the biggest key. It also depends on the manufacturer recommendation for backfill material
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics