Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Clean water. Algae at the bottom

1. Back To Top    #1

Clean water. Algae at the bottom

Hi, thanks to everyone here on the forums I brought my swamp pool to a crystal clear pool this summer. It's been great except for the fact that I keep getting alge on the bottom of the pool and on the walls. I vacuum and I keep my chlorine levels up with 3 inch chlorine tablets. I dont know how to stop this. The water is clear until i sweep or vacuum, then it has a green tint to it. The bottom looks like it has clumps of algae when this happens btw. Thanks.
    Above ground round pool 22' diameter 4' deep. 100gpm cartridge filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Clean water. Algae at the bottom

With each and every puck you use it is adding both chlorine & cya to your water. As your cya level rises, so does the requirement to add more chlorine to compensate. SO it becomes quite a vicious cycle as the FC was enough when your cya was, say 40ppm, but inadequate now that your pucks raised your cya to 50ppm and this lets algae take hold.
    The only solution is to use chlorine that doesn't continue to raise your cya (hint: liquid chlorine, aka bleach) and possibly drain water to lower your cya level. But we need concrete test results to see where you are.

Which test kit are you using? Can you provide us with:
    FC
    CC
    pH
    TA
    CH
    CYA

we'll be able to advise you better when we know those values. Thanks!
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Did you ever clear your water last month?

Numbers all crazy. Milky water. Please help!
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Part of pool maintenance is to brush the sides of your pool each week. That along with keeping your water balance using TFP recommended levels will keep your pool in good shape.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

5. Back To Top    #5

Yea I got my water clean finally and have been able to swim the past month or so. I have been keeping my water clear until this issue kinda crept up on me this week. I use the hydrotools test kit from the pool store.

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Slyons81 View Post
    Yea I got my water clean finally and have been able to swim the past month or so. I have been keeping my water clear until this issue kinda crept up on me this week. I use the hydrotools test kit from the pool store.
    Can you please post a complete set of test results from your TF-50 (in the thread I linked to above, you said you have a TF-50). The hydrotools kit is an OTO based kit that does not check CYA.

Please post:
    FC
    CC
    pH
    TA
    CH
    CYA

You have algae because your FC level is/was too low for your CYA. You will need to SLAM the pool again.
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!