Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Preparing for a LOT of guests

1. Back To Top    #1

Preparing for a LOT of guests

Hosting a kids birthday/pool party this weekend for a friend. Invitations got a little out of control, and 54 people have RSVP'd! That does not include the kiddos! Not everyone who is coming will swim, but I expect 20-25 kids in the pool. I maintain 80ppm CYA and 6.5 FC with my SWG. I think I should bump the FC up before the party, but by what method and by how much? Crank the SWG and get to 8.5 FC? Add some bleach a couple hours before guest arrive? What are your thoughts? Happy labor day weekend!
    20500 gal Pebble Tec ingroud. Hayward S310T Sand Filter, 3/4 HP Hayward pump, Hayward Poolvergnuegen, Hayward AQR15 SWG.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Preparing for a LOT of guests

With a CYA of 80 I'd probably pre-load the pool up to 12-14 ppm with bleach or liquid chlorine just before the party and keep the pump running and the SWCG generating. Then test post party and if low, re-load back to 12-14 and see how the FC reacts overnight. I've found with big uses like this, my FC demand can spike for a couple days.

You know - I don't know what kind of capacity your SWCG has so that previous paragraph might be aggressive.
    John - 16,000 gallon | in ground | pebble | Triton II sand filter | TF100 | speedstir | Hayward Phoenix 2x

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm with Cinic... I'd use some liquid chlorine to boost the FC level up a couple hours before the party and just leave the pump on its regular settings. Keep the water moving, y'know? But I wouldn't do anything to increase the % on the SWG. And apres-party just re-test and dose again with liquid chlorine as you may note some cloudiness after that large crew. Using LC is faster and less wear and tear on the SWG.

You gotta know that *someone* is gonna pee in there at some point....
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

4. Back To Top    #4

+1 to what everyone else said. That's exactly what I did when we had a bunch of people (including a baby with no swim diaper) for the Memorial Day weekend. No issues at all. Have fun!
    Pool completed 3/21/2016
    8800 gallons, plaster 14' x 24', 3/4 hp Hayward pump, Hayward cartridge filter, Blue Essence T-5 SWG, Kreepy Krauly Kruiser, Taylor K-2006 test kit with Speedstir, Taylor K-1766 salt test and 250 sq. ft. of Heliocol solar panels with Pentair Solartouch control system

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks everyone! I'll grab some bleach on the way home. It's been awhile since I've had to do that!
    20500 gal Pebble Tec ingroud. Hayward S310T Sand Filter, 3/4 HP Hayward pump, Hayward Poolvergnuegen, Hayward AQR15 SWG.

6. Back To Top    #6

I'll bump FC to max rate per CYA chart. I for one, will never ever turn on the SWCG while the pool is occupied. I am very much concern about the amount of gas bubbles coming out of the return pipes and I surely don't want kids to accidentally drink that

I run the pump for kiddos to enjoy the waterfall but always made sure the SWCG is off prior to swimming. But then again, it's just me. To each his own.
    20k gallons, IG plaster with raised Spa, Hayward C-4000 cartridge, Hayward TriStar SP3202VSP, Hayward H400 gas heater, Hayward Super II (2HP) Spa jets, Hayward Swimpure Plus T-15,
    Intermatic PS3000 SPD, PureLine-PureColor LED's, Dolphin Triton cleaning robot, Taylor K-2006, K-1766, OTO Test kit & various Guess strips.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow View Post
    I'll bump FC to max rate per CYA chart. I for one, will never ever turn on the SWCG while the pool is occupied. I am very much concern about the amount of gas bubbles coming out of the return pipes and I surely don't want kids to accidentally drink that

I run the pump for kiddos to enjoy the waterfall but always made sure the SWCG is off prior to swimming. But then again, it's just me. To each his own.
    Do your kids routinely drink water from the pool returns? There is no harm in swimming in the pool with the SWG on, but no one should be drinking any of the water even if there is no SWG.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

8. Back To Top    #8

Gas bubbles from SWG ?
    I assumed the chlorine was absorbed into the water column...
    If it came out as gas wouldnt a significant % be lost to atmosphere ?
    Doug - Purchased 1/2016, 1995 house with 16x31 ft, ~23000 gallon Gunite pool w 11x7 spa, 3 Pentair VS pumps, a boost pump for polaris 3900 and a BaduŽ Jet super-sport swim jet pump, 1.5 hp blower, a CL460 Cartridge filter. TF-100 test kit. Aquapure SWG, iAqualink - Lots to learn. New Aquabright, Jandy LEDs, CMP LED Sheers.

9. Back To Top    #9

Of course you'll give the standard request to leave the pool in order to pee. Then half way through the party announce that you are going to do a "urine test" which will turn yellow if someone has actually gone in the pool (which will be a standard chlorine test). Watch for the reactions...
    16X32 AB, Pentair SD filter, 3/4hp Pentair Optiflo, CircuPool RJ30+ swg, TF 100

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

Or turn pink in the case of the FAS-DPD test...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Silver_2000 View Post
    Gas bubbles from SWG ?
    I assumed the chlorine was absorbed into the water column...
    If it came out as gas wouldnt a significant % be lost to atmosphere ?
    It depends on the distance from the SWG to the pool. I have never seen the bubbles but I have read of others that do.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post
    Do your kids routinely drink water from the pool returns? There is no harm in swimming in the pool with the SWG on, but no one should be drinking any of the water even if there is no SWG.
    Not intentionally drink! Yeah, tell that to our grand kids who just love to get in the pool. The youngest are ages 4 & 5 and learning to swim but occasionally ingest pool water and then cough a lot. They love to play in the shallow end where the return pipes are. No denial, I accidentally ingested pool water multiple times during my learning days and at some point we all did, didn't you?

Btw, our pool has 3 return pipes and the high concentration of gas bubbles coming out of it is noticeable even without the sun. The high concentration of gas swirls at the bottom, creating multiple circular shadows as it moves around like a hurricane and breaks in the surface. Adults would not even dare to jump in either!

Sorry OP, not trying to hijack but just sharing my thoughts as observed. It's your pool, your guests, the decision is yours to keep them safe and healthy.
    20k gallons, IG plaster with raised Spa, Hayward C-4000 cartridge, Hayward TriStar SP3202VSP, Hayward H400 gas heater, Hayward Super II (2HP) Spa jets, Hayward Swimpure Plus T-15,
    Intermatic PS3000 SPD, PureLine-PureColor LED's, Dolphin Triton cleaning robot, Taylor K-2006, K-1766, OTO Test kit & various Guess strips.

12. Back To Top    #12

I swim in mine with the swg on all the time. I have smelled a trace of chlorine occasionally when it first comes on but never after it has been on longer than 10 seconds. But I don't drink my pool water, either.
    16X32 AB, Pentair SD filter, 3/4hp Pentair Optiflo, CircuPool RJ30+ swg, TF 100

13. Back To Top    #13

The bubbles are mostly hydrogen, so don't have anyone smoking by the returns. I've never turned mine off so people could swim. If it was chlorine gas escaping, you would potentially kill everyone around the pool when it came on.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

14. Back To Top    #14

Eight tables and fifty chairs later we're ready to party. Ugh trouble free pool method really made prep tough. I had to put some bleach in. Then float on my raft and enjoy the calm before the storm.

15. Back To Top    #15

Have a great time!
    Kelly, Tampa FL
    15' by 4' Intex above ground metal frame, about 5300 gallons
    Intex 120V Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump & Saltwater System CG-28679 with E.C.O.
    TF100 Kit and Speedstir
    Intex Auto Cleaner - works great!