Recovering green above ground pool...

I was testing at night then adding bleach and testing about an hour later to see if it was where it should be and it consistently was. Then testing in the morning then adding bleach again and also doing a mid-day test and add but with that much testing I was afraid I'd run out of chemicals before I was done with the whole SLAM so I dropped back starting yesterday to one night time test and then add. At the mid-day I blindly add some chlorine equal to about what I was adding in the past (32 oz) and then test at night and add appropriate amount to get to SLAM level without re-checking (trusting the pool math amounts as they have been spot on every time).

I figure once I start to get good enough clarity then I'll test night and morning again until I pass the overnight chlorine loss test but for now I'll save chemicals since it seems to be depleting fairly consistently.

Great news and maybe some less than great news...

Appreciate the advice on patience... held off on the floc, received new Unicel 50 Sq Ft cartridge on Sat (9/10) and the water has been steadily clearing since. If I put my net down to the bottom I can see as far down as the white plastic nibs on the handle now!

One, I think my previous filters were a 25 sq ft because this has many more pleats squeezed into the same size cartridge. I also saw for the first time a small sticker on the filter casing that says "50 sq" so I think I have had wrong cartridges in it for a few years (sold to me by the same pool store that sold me the pool grrr).

Now for the not so great news... my pool never seems to lose water. If anything I always have to drain to keep from going too high on the skimmer. but over the last couple days I've had to add a couple inches of water twice. Wondering if during my brushing I may have pushed a small twig or something on the bottom of the pool and made a leak. :(

With the speed that I am clearing up now I think I should be able to see bottom in a couple days and maybe I'll be able to tell better what's happening. My more immediate concern is I think I am so close to passing the three criteria to end the SLAM but now am concerned about adding water. If this is lowering my CYA but I can't do a reliable CYA test while SLAMing I am not sure how to best proceed. Plus if my CYA is coming down that would affect my FC shock level I've been maintaining (24). Maybe this isn't enough additional water but if it takes another week to pass the tests the continual adding could add up by then,

You an test CYA if you are concerned. It's the pH that TFP says is unreliable.

Thanks for that reminder... my CYA has dropped a lot since I first started. Here are the current readings:

CYA: 30
FC: 12 (New shock level)
CC: .5
Overnight Chlorine Loss Test: about 1

Clarity is within inches from the bottom.

All great news close to done but the leak appears to be quickening... I guess that is a new thread.

Wanted to give a huge THANKS! to everyone who assisted me and to the TFP forum in general for all the helpful advice.

Th pool is back to 100% crystal clear. While standing 10' away from the pool you can see the patterned floor all the way to the far side without the slightest haze!

IMG_20160924_143905d.jpg

Now to find this leak before the refills completely deplete my CYA and allows FC to drop too quickly.

It looks like the water is already lower than skimmer level, is that correct? Check around the perimeter of the pool for wet areas, then check inside the pool along the seams and floor to see if you can find your leak. Food coloring or leak detection dye will help pinpoint the location. Make sure you have a patch kit on hand when you go to search for the leak.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.