Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is using trichlor in my situation a good idea?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is using trichlor in my situation a good idea?

Until recently, I was using a SWG to chlorinate my pool and I also relied on it for my salt level measurements (I now know that was a bad idea). Unaware that the SWG was giving false readings, I kept adding salt. I now have high salt and my SWG has stopped working.

For the time being I'm using liquid chlorine to sanitize my pool until mother nature can lower the salt level(rain). The problem with that is LC also adds a small amount of salt each time I add it. Would I be better off using tricolor tabs until I get my salt level down and can install a new SWG? If so, do you think one feeder would adequate for a 13K gal pool? High CYA shouldn't be a problem due to the amount of rain we get here in the summer.
    17x30 freeform IG w/spa & spillover approx. 13,000g, exposed aggregate "Florida Pearl" finish; Hayward PS-4 automation w/T15 salt cell, SP3400 var. sp. pump & C1200 filter; Gulfstream 120,000 BTU HP; Pentair auto & manual valves. Built Jan 2013

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is using trichlor in my situation a good idea?

Why not just drain the pool and refill to reduce salt?

Trichlor still adds some salt, about half as much as bleach for an equivalent amount of FC.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

You're in an unusual situation since you get so much rain it causes folks to have to drain water frequently from all the rains.

From reading posts by the Florida contingent we've learned that this tends to lower their CYA levels, unexpectedly at times. If wanted to lower your salt level just give it a few few months of rain & drain and see where you land. I'd go with liquid chlorine and repairing the SWG myself. With close monitoring of your test levels (including a stand alone salt test-Taylor's K-1766) you could use pucks on occasion, but you have to know when to back off when the levels get high.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

4. Back To Top    #4

Is using trichlor in my situation a good idea?

Just for the sake of some rough numbers - in a 10,000 gallon pool, 10ppm FC added by using bleach will increase salt by 16ppm (so not really a big deal). 10ppm FC added using trichlor will raise your salt by 8ppm, raise you CYA by 6ppm and lower your pH by a few tenth a of a unit. The acidity of the trichlor consumes some alkalinity so you'd have to keep an eye on that too.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

5. Back To Top    #5

Part of the Florida contingent here! I'd definitely drain and fix SWG - even with all our crazy weather it could take months to get salt to a reasonable level, especially since we're halfway through hurricane season.
    Kelly, Tampa FL
    15' by 4' Intex above ground metal frame, about 5300 gallons
    Intex 120V Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump & Saltwater System CG-28679 with E.C.O.
    TF100 Kit and Speedstir
    Intex Auto Cleaner - works great!

6. Back To Top    #6

The reason I haven't drained and filled is because,....I already tried. I'm on well water with naturally high salt content. I stuck the hose in the pool and ran water all day with little or no change in salt level. The alternative is to have water trucked in ($$$).

Another reason I am leaning toward trichlor pucks (and I should have mentioned this) is that I will be away for a couple weeks soon and the pool will be unattended. I thought if I started now, I would know how many pucks to put in the feeder, or if I need two feeders while I'm away. I have no intention of using trichlor full time. As soon as the salt level is back in line, I'll install a new salt cell.

By the way, I learned my lesson and I now have a K-1766 kit to go with my K-2006.
    Also, I typically have to add acid on a weekly basis (well water again), so I'm not concerned about CYA's effect on alkalinity.
    Thanks for all your replies.
    17x30 freeform IG w/spa & spillover approx. 13,000g, exposed aggregate "Florida Pearl" finish; Hayward PS-4 automation w/T15 salt cell, SP3400 var. sp. pump & C1200 filter; Gulfstream 120,000 BTU HP; Pentair auto & manual valves. Built Jan 2013

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

What is your CYA now? I wouldn't use a lot of pucks now as they will increase your CYA and the pucks used during your vacation will raise the CYA even higher.

My suggestion for when you leave is to raise FC to SLAM level for your CYA and then put pucks in a floater.

Also, it is best to drain first and then refill. Running the hose in the water and letting it overfill will waste more water. What is the salt level on your fill water?
    Karen
    33K IG w spa plaster, Pentair 1HP Whisperflo, DE Filter, SWG CircuPool RJ-60, Dolphin Triton Plus, Raypak Dig 336K BTU, TF-100.
    Pool Math Chlorine / CYA Chart SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    2017 replaster/retile

8. Back To Top    #8

I would definitely do everything I could to collect rain water for sure then! Well water sometimes brings its own "issues" into the pool so free rain water is a plus.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by kcindc View Post
    What is your CYA now? I wouldn't use a lot of pucks now as they will increase your CYA and the pucks used during your vacation will raise the CYA even higher.

My suggestion for when you leave is to raise FC to SLAM level for your CYA and then put pucks in a floater.

Also, it is best to drain first and then refill. Running the hose in the water and letting it overfill will waste more water. What is the salt level on your fill water?
    I'm not sure what my CYA is right now. Last test it was at 40ppm and we've had a lot of rain this past week (Hermine). It should be low.

My well water salt level is approx. 1600ppm. My pool is at 4000ppm down from 4600. I need to get it to 3400 before I install a new cell. How much water do you think I would need to drain? Is there a formula?

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

It isn't exact, but I'm thinking a 42% reduction should get you close to your target. (4000*(1-0.42)) + (1600*(1-0.42)) = 2320 + 1044 = 3364.

Make sure that you've verified your salt level using the Taylor K-1766. SWG are notorious for miscalculating salt levels when the cell is failing.
    Karen
    33K IG w spa plaster, Pentair 1HP Whisperflo, DE Filter, SWG CircuPool RJ-60, Dolphin Triton Plus, Raypak Dig 336K BTU, TF-100.
    Pool Math Chlorine / CYA Chart SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    2017 replaster/retile

11. Back To Top    #11

Personally I would stick with the liquid chlorine / bleach the amount of salt it will add is trivial compared to the amount of salt free water you will get through rain water in your area.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

12. Back To Top    #12

I think you only have to drain about a quarter of your water and replace with well water. If x is the percentage of water you keep:

(x * 4000) + ((1 - x) * 1600) = 3400

4000x + 1600 - 1600x = 3400

2400x = 1800

x = 1800 / 2400 = .75

So, you keep 75%, replace 25%
    18' x 48" ring top pool (Summer Escapes); 5500 gallons; set up June - October, stored during winter; Intex 2500 gph pump (B size cartridge filter) Hayward 21" sand filter + 1.5 hp single speed Powerflo Matrix pump (upgrade October 2016) *** K-2006 test kit, refills from tftestkits

13. Back To Top    #13

My CYA dropped considerably this summer (frequent backwashing and a lot of rain), so I switched to trichlor tabs temporarily to raise CYA. It was a nightmare. My PH, which had been incredibly consistent all summer, went up so fast I was constantly having to add Borax, which also messed with my TA levels. If you use trichlor, you'll still add salt as well (though only about half as much as sodium hypochlorite). I think it'd be much easier on you if you just partially drained your pool to lower the salt levels.
    12250 gallons | IG | Vinyl liner | Sand Filter | Emerson 1081 Pump EUST1102 | Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand Filter Model #S166T | Pool <10 yrs. old | Taylor K-2006 test kit | SharkVac automatic pool cleaner

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by bjbarlowe View Post
    My CYA dropped considerably this summer (frequent backwashing and a lot of rain), so I switched to trichlor tabs temporarily to raise CYA. It was a nightmare. My PH, which had been incredibly consistent all summer, went up so fast I was constantly having to add Borax, which also messed with my TA levels. If you use trichlor, you'll still add salt as well (though only about half as much as sodium hypochlorite). I think it'd be much easier on you if you just partially drained your pool to lower the salt levels.
    Adding trichlor would cause pH to go down (not up), which is probably what you meant? Borax raises pH; its effect on TA is fairly minimal (according to PoolMath), but perhaps you had something else going on that changed the TA in your pool.
    18' x 48" ring top pool (Summer Escapes); 5500 gallons; set up June - October, stored during winter; Intex 2500 gph pump (B size cartridge filter) Hayward 21" sand filter + 1.5 hp single speed Powerflo Matrix pump (upgrade October 2016) *** K-2006 test kit, refills from tftestkits

15. Back To Top    #15

Yes, I meant down, not up. My mistake. As for the TA, the borax didn't affect it too badly, but I was careful at the beginning of the summer to get it just where I wanted it, so it was annoying to mess it up.

Basically, I had all my levels right where I wanted them, and they were all steady all summer. All I had to do for weeks was add cal-hypo. Then I switched to trichlor temporarily and everything got way more complicated.
    12250 gallons | IG | Vinyl liner | Sand Filter | Emerson 1081 Pump EUST1102 | Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand Filter Model #S166T | Pool <10 yrs. old | Taylor K-2006 test kit | SharkVac automatic pool cleaner