Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need some help locking down pool design

1. Back To Top    #1

Need some help locking down pool design

All,

Thanks to this forum and posters here for helping me on my journey so far. My wife and I are somewhat torn on the overall shape we want for our pool and the PB's we're working with seem to just want to crank out a cookie-cutter design that they have in their portfolio; problem is we've not found one that pops out at us. We decided to go with a general lagoon shape but after seeing people's pools and looking at photos we want to go with a more modern, Geo-metric design. I'd like some suggestions from those that have built or build pools on what would look right for our house so I've included a snapshot of my plat and house overview; I have no way to be more detailed as I'd like to be.

Any ideas guys?

Plat-with-house.jpg

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need some help locking down pool design

Is the lot flat?
    Central Md. 37 X 21 24K IG Custom Gunite with Anvil Quartz finish. Raised Spa.
    Sta-Rite Natural Gas Heater. Intellichlor IC-40 SWG, Sta-Rite 450 sq ft. Cartridge Filter.
    Pentair 1.5 Hp Variable Speed Pump. TF100. Dolphin Z-5. First swim 5/26/16

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, the lot is mostly flat. It does have a very small slope from right to left; a couple of PB's have mentioned needing a small retaining wall on the back of the pool due to the slight slope.

4. Back To Top    #4

It's so hard to make a decision. I've seen so many beautiful geometric pools lately that I've flip-flopped in my head on them but I have a hard time seeing kids and their pool toys all over it. I usually think of them as more stylish than I can manage. Your lot looks like it could accommodate a beautiful pool of any shape. Think about how you'll use it for the next 15-20 years before making a final decision. Keep us posted on the direction you take.
    Dream freeform pool 34 x 19 w/sheer descent waterfall, 7 ft spa with 6 jets W/ Jandy T3000 heater, doggie deck (sun shelf) with with Jandy Nicheless LED 9 w Watercolor light and a wrap bench to spa, 831 sq ft of paver decking ( Belgard Mega-Cambridge paver in Aragon), Pebble Tec finish in Midnight Blue with Shimmering Sea (abalone), I-Auqualink PS4 with spa side switch/remote. Pool and deck area to be screen enclosed.

5. Back To Top    #5

Geometric designs have to be so specific. To me your yard looks to be begging for a well design free form. How big of a pool are you looking at? Any approximate dimensions? Maybe draw on your plat or upload a copy of a survey to also show which direction and placement in the yard you would like to see. That will be helpful also!

Started 5/31/16. 38'x23', 618 sqft., <14,000 gallons, 8' spa.Travertine coping. Raised beam w/3 sheers. Large sunshelf w/3 bubblers. SWG IC40, Pentair VSP, 520 cartridge, color LED lights, Easy-touch, screen logic, Maytronics S300i robot, and Wet Edge Prism Matrix finish (Deep Sea Blue with Indigo plaster). Build Thread: Another in Texas - Cypress Texas | MUD District | HOA Approval | Great Escapes Pools

6. Back To Top    #6

Tell us a bit about you. Kids in the house, or all grown? Do you think a move is in your future, or are you planning to be buried in the back yard?
    Kelly, Tampa FL
    15' by 4' Intex above ground metal frame, about 5300 gallons
    Intex 120V Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump & Saltwater System CG-28679 with E.C.O.
    TF100 Kit and Speedstir
    Intex Auto Cleaner - works great!

7. Back To Top    #7

I'm all for classic, timeless designs myself.

To me, some of these lagoon builds are going to look very out dated in time. They're throwing so much fake boulder up that sometimes that stuff is as big as the pool and too many curves in the pool cuts in to the actual swim/play area, in my opinion.

For some gorgeous ideas I would suggest looking at Houzz - Home Design, Decorating and Remodeling Ideas and Inspiration, Kitchen and Bathroom Design and http://www.pinterest. Lots of pics!
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

8. Back To Top    #8

Singke kid, he's 5 years old. My wife and I have no plans on moving. The pool will be used for family entertainment, social get togethers and a spa for my wife and I to relax. Hope this helps...

Quote Originally Posted by kellyfair View Post
    Tell us a bit about you. Kids in the house, or all grown? Do you think a move is in your future, or are you planning to be buried in the back yard?
    - - - Updated - - -

This is is my concern, that a lagoon'ish pool will be out of style in 10 years. Not to mention a desire to swim some laps but I don't just want a boring rectangle.

We we had a PB blow us off because we didn't know precisely what we wanted. Somewhat suprised at that after all we asked for advice and options, appertly we were supposed to give the builder a design to work from.

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post
    I'm all for classic, timeless designs myself.

To me, some of these lagoon builds are going to look very out dated in time. They're throwing so much fake boulder up that sometimes that stuff is as big as the pool and too many curves in the pool cuts in to the actual swim/play area, in my opinion.

For some gorgeous ideas I would suggest looking at Houzz - Home Design, Decorating and Remodeling Ideas and Inspiration, Kitchen and Bathroom Design and http://www.pinterest. Lots of pics!

9. Back To Top    #9

Do you have an existing patio space? Outdoor kitchen? Is that a part of your plan or future add?

Can you post pics of the back of the house?

From inside the house, do you want a view of the pool or of patio or of garden? You have a large yard, so you have a LOT of options available.

We're not done with our build yet, but way way back in the long long ago, we started a Houzz account and started adding pools and design elements to it. It became clear very early on what we were drawn to and that helped to drive our design. We went geometric and modern trying to capture a Balinese flavor to it because close to 50% of the pools and designs we liked were all either Bali villa rental pools or modern Australian style.

plat.
    Modern Geometric-ish Social Pool (4'-5'-4') ~13' x 47'. Sun shelf. Perimeter overflow spa. RiverFlow Swimjet. Dog ramp. "Bubble Lounge"
    Link to my patio build, completed 2013
    Link to my pool build, Aug '15 - Sep '16

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

Here's a nice geometric setup that would work well along the right back side of your property extending out from your house. It would leave the whole left 2/3 of your backyard still open.

You'll probably want the gathering area close to the house, but I think that pools with pool houses/structures opposite them look great. That setup also encourages you to escape from the gravitational pull of the house a bit more. I can attest to that as we have a destination pool, which is about 75' from our back door.

Inground-swimming-pool-with-pool-house.jpg
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

11. Back To Top    #11

Agreed! Start saving pictures of pools and features you like and that will help plant more firmly in your mind the design elements you know you're set on having. My pool has a straight back wall so we could accommodate a nice swim lane and then has a freeform edge. You can design it to fit the space that works best for you. We use our pool the same way you described. I have 7 year old twins and it's mostly for socializing, entertaining friends, and relaxing in the spa. Now that we're finished there are little things we'd do differently. We originally looked at geometric designs and ended up with a hybrid shape of sorts. I've seen some beautiful geometric-ish shapes here as well as unique geometric. Go and read as many pool build threads as you can. That helped me a ton when figuring out our design!

Started 5/31/16. 38'x23', 618 sqft., <14,000 gallons, 8' spa.Travertine coping. Raised beam w/3 sheers. Large sunshelf w/3 bubblers. SWG IC40, Pentair VSP, 520 cartridge, color LED lights, Easy-touch, screen logic, Maytronics S300i robot, and Wet Edge Prism Matrix finish (Deep Sea Blue with Indigo plaster). Build Thread: Another in Texas - Cypress Texas | MUD District | HOA Approval | Great Escapes Pools

12. Back To Top    #12

I can't remember the guy from Amelia Island (or maybe Fernandina Beach) did a beautiful geometric pool with the fire thing. It was stunning. Anyone remember his name?
    Dream freeform pool 34 x 19 w/sheer descent waterfall, 7 ft spa with 6 jets W/ Jandy T3000 heater, doggie deck (sun shelf) with with Jandy Nicheless LED 9 w Watercolor light and a wrap bench to spa, 831 sq ft of paver decking ( Belgard Mega-Cambridge paver in Aragon), Pebble Tec finish in Midnight Blue with Shimmering Sea (abalone), I-Auqualink PS4 with spa side switch/remote. Pool and deck area to be screen enclosed.

13. Back To Top    #13

So, I know it sounds boring, but I like rectangular. Easy to divide pool for kids (or adults) to play basketball or volleyball, clean lines, etc.

And darn it, Yippy! Now I'm going to waste the rest of the day on Houzz - that site is addictive!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mothershipp View Post
    I can't remember the guy from Amelia Island (or maybe Fernandina Beach) did a beautiful geometric pool with the fire thing. It was stunning. Anyone remember his name?
    I think it was Amelia, and it was gorgeous. Searching!

- - - Updated - - -

Found it!

- - - Updated - - -

Look at this one - wow.

Rimless Negative Edge Pool.JPG
    Kelly, Tampa FL
    15' by 4' Intex above ground metal frame, about 5300 gallons
    Intex 120V Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump & Saltwater System CG-28679 with E.C.O.
    TF100 Kit and Speedstir
    Intex Auto Cleaner - works great!

14. Back To Top    #14

I dont have have a survey yet, I'm working on that. As for approximate pool dimensions, somewhere about 18' x 36' or so. Must have a Baja Shelf and a Spa, a bench somewhere would be great. Placement of the shallow end and spa closest to the house.

Quote Originally Posted by twinkiesmommy2009 View Post
    Geometric designs have to be so specific. To me your yard looks to be begging for a well design free form. How big of a pool are you looking at? Any approximate dimensions? Maybe draw on your plat or upload a copy of a survey to also show which direction and placement in the yard you would like to see. That will be helpful also!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    - - - Updated - - -

I do not, let me snap some photos and post back...

Quote Originally Posted by platipus View Post
    Do you have an existing patio space? Outdoor kitchen? Is that a part of your plan or future add?

Can you post pics of the back of the house?

From inside the house, do you want a view of the pool or of patio or of garden? You have a large yard, so you have a LOT of options available.

We're not done with our build yet, but way way back in the long long ago, we started a Houzz account and started adding pools and design elements to it. It became clear very early on what we were drawn to and that helped to drive our design. We went geometric and modern trying to capture a Balinese flavor to it because close to 50% of the pools and designs we liked were all either Bali villa rental pools or modern Australian style.

plat.

15. Back To Top    #15

You sure have plenty of space! As for shape/design, I really like how forgotten1 has incorporated the free form shelf into a geometric pool. That concept is something we are strongly considering to get the best of both worlds:
    New Pool Build in Chandler AZ

- - - Updated - - -

I have close family in Cumming, GA as well - Pilgrim Mill Rd. Welcome to the site family neighbor!

16. Back To Top    #16

yard1.jpgyard2.jpg

Here's from the deck looking out. Total is 1.37 acres for my lot so I do have plenty of space to play with. My septic field sits to the right of my yard, right where the playset is sitting so that area is out. I will very likely have to have the septic supply line from my tank (left side of house) moved out to accommodate but I'm assured that's minor.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm slightly north of there....

Quote Originally Posted by grumpiebk View Post
    You sure have plenty of space! As for shape/design, I really like how forgotten1 has incorporated the free form shelf into a geometric pool. That concept is something we are strongly considering to get the best of both worlds:
    New Pool Build in Chandler AZ

- - - Updated - - -

I have close family in Cumming, GA as well - Pilgrim Mill Rd. Welcome to the site family neighbor!

17. Back To Top    #17

I think his name was TXNole...

18. Back To Top    #18

TFP Guide

This page has all the gratuitous glamour shots...

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...ireplace/page9
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!