Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA test actually worked!!!

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA test actually worked!!!

I dumped in 4lbs of Stab and these are the results after two days:

100 - slightly cloudly, easy to see the dot still
    50 - cloudly, barely see it, but still can
    40 cloudly, really barely see it.
    35 - if you look hard enough, you can see it.
    30 - gone, but you know its there.

So what number should I go with based on those? PoolMath was dead on by the way. It said I needed around 8lbs to get to 75 CYA. I just wanted to start slowly.

Also, pH leveled out as well, intially it went too low, but now its hovering around 7.5-7.8. FC is the next issue, now that I have CYA, I wanted to hit it with Liquid Bleach.

My crew is coming out today to dump in 20lbs of salt, not sure if it will have any effect on Stab or Liquid Chlorine?
    12K Gallon, IG PebbleSheen Blue Granite, built AUG 2016, 4 Jandy nicheless LED lights , Jandy 2.0HP VS ePump, Jandy AquaPure PLC700 SWG, PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy CV580 VersaPlumb Cartridge Filter , Jandy - Pro Series RS4 W/iAquaLink, Jandy JXi400NK 400K Heater, OK Flagstone Coping, Travertine Decking, 7 x7 Spa, Tanning Shelf, 10' Grotto, TF-100.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA test actually worked!!!

If you stare at the ground for 5 seconds, then glance at the tube, can you see it? When you get to that point, round up to the nearest 5 for a little headroom.
    10,500 gal IG, Topaz Pebble, auto-level
    Hayward DE filter, 2HP Ecostar VSP, ProLogic PS-4, GVA actuators
    Cal Pools Wave Force Plus (wall return jets plus 2 floor pop-ups), Venturi Skimmer
    Water sheer, 2 wok pots, bubbler stem on the baja step
    ColorLogic Mutlicolor LED lamp. Taylor 2006+speed stir

3. Back To Top    #3

30 is close enough to use with an error range of +/- 10% of the test accuracy. Salt additions will not effect your CYA or FC. Hopefully it will effect FC when you fire up your SWG!

You can pour that sample back and forth a couple times and "second guess" your first reading too.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

Excellent.... starting to own this pool chemistry! Thank you!!!!!
    12K Gallon, IG PebbleSheen Blue Granite, built AUG 2016, 4 Jandy nicheless LED lights , Jandy 2.0HP VS ePump, Jandy AquaPure PLC700 SWG, PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy CV580 VersaPlumb Cartridge Filter , Jandy - Pro Series RS4 W/iAquaLink, Jandy JXi400NK 400K Heater, OK Flagstone Coping, Travertine Decking, 7 x7 Spa, Tanning Shelf, 10' Grotto, TF-100.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp View Post
    30 is close enough to use with an error range of +/- 10% of the test accuracy. Salt additions will not effect your CYA or FC. Hopefully it will effect FC when you fire up your SWG!

You can pour that sample back and forth a couple times and "second guess" your first reading too.
    I actually did that.... same results.... just added 4lbs of stab and ~1/2 jug of Liquid Chlorine.... that would get me to around 4-5 PPM of FC and 70 CYA.

6. Back To Top    #6

Was that 20# or 200#? Pool Math show 251# so 200# would bring you up to 200ppm. But better to ease up to it than having to do a partial drain.
    16X32 AB, Pentair SD filter, 3/4hp Pentair Optiflo, CircuPool RJ30+ swg, TF 100

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Vickery View Post
    Was that 20# or 200#? Pool Math show 251# so 200# would bring you up to 200ppm. But better to ease up to it than having to do a partial drain.
    He actually dumped in 80lbs of salt today, this would be his 7th bag. 280lbs total.