Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Turn on light kept tripping the surge proctector

1. Back To Top    #1

Turn on light kept tripping the surge proctector

Hi experts,
    For some reason my lights won't turned on any more so I went to the pool electrical box and saw that it had tripped the surge proctector. I've reset it and turn it on and again it tripped it, what could cause this to be tripped? TIA.
    Inground Plaster Pool, Cartridge Filter, Dolphin PRIMALX3, Hayward H400 Heater, Hayward Pump SPX3220X25Z2PE, 17500 Gallons with Spill Over Spa, Non-SWG, Sugar Land (Houston), TX 77478 USA

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Turn on light kept tripping the surge proctector

I think you mean the GFCI breaker tripped. I doubt its a surge protector. Surge protectors often have a light and a button separate from the panel.

Assuming its the GFCI. The GFCI is finding a voltage imbalance downstream and won't let you reset until you clear the voltage imbalance. Try changing the lightbulb if you feel confident you can do that. If that doesn't work then it may be a bad fixture or a loose wire. Then you should probably call an electrician.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Turn on light kept tripping the surge proctector

Quote Originally Posted by gwegan View Post
    I think you mean the GFCI breaker tripped. I doubt its a surge protector. Surge protectors often have a light and a button separate from the panel.

Assuming its the GFCI. The GFCI is finding a voltage imbalance downstream and won't let you reset until you clear the voltage imbalance. Try changing the lightbulb if you feel confident you can do that. If that doesn't work then it may be a bad fixture or a loose wire. Then you should probably call an electrician.
    You're correct, it is the GFCI. I'll ask an electrician to come by and have a look. Thanks.
    Inground Plaster Pool, Cartridge Filter, Dolphin PRIMALX3, Hayward H400 Heater, Hayward Pump SPX3220X25Z2PE, 17500 Gallons with Spill Over Spa, Non-SWG, Sugar Land (Houston), TX 77478 USA