No overnight loss of FC

jeffnsheila

Bronze Supporter
Mar 11, 2016
Friendswood Texas
Last Sunday night I had CC of 1.5 for the first time. It has never been more than .5 . So I brought my FC up to SLAM level of 20 since my CYA is around 45. I checked the FC and CC Tuesday and I was @ 16 FC and 0 CC . Then last night I had 14FC .5 CC . I checked this morning and FC was still 14 and had .5 CC . So I had no FC loss overnight, why do I still have some CC ? No one has been in it since sunday, shouldnt my FC get rid of any CC ?

Not necessarily. CC itself is not a contaminate in your pool. It's a byproduct of your FC working on sanitizing your pool. It just means your FC is doing it's job, and there's still something in the water it's having to work extra hard on. You have enough of a contaminate in your pool for CC to register on your test, but not enough that your pool lost any more FC overnight.

You passed the first two tests indicating your SLAM is complete (FC at or below 0.5 and OCLT test passed). If your water looks clear, then your SLAM is complete and you can let your FC levels drop back down to normal.

Kudos to you for a successful SLAM!

The water was always crystal clear. Thats why I was a little freaked out when I had 1.5 CC show up during testing last weekend. Of course we are having a big holiday blow out this weekend and I am having to SLAM the pool. I guess its good I caught it in time to get the pool in order before we have 30 people over with a pool that is not safe to swim in. If my FC is still a little high, 9-10 on saturday, that shouldnt be too bad on peoples eyes should it?

Having an elevated CC level for a short period of time is not typically an indication of a problem. You probably did not need to SLAM your pool. Elevating the chlorine up above your target and holding it there probably would have resolved the CCs.

CCs can get generated for a lot of different reasons. Transient high CCs is not typically a problem.

So next time I see a 1-1.5 CC and the pool is clear , should I wait a day to see if it increases or stays the same before I raise the FC level ?

Yeah, I wouldn't jump to a SLAM right away. Even if the pool had elevated CCs like that for a day, there's really no harm. If it comes back down, no worries then. You could even add a little extra FC that day to see if it helps.

I've had weeks of 0 CCs and then, every so often, it'll pop up to 0.6-0.8ppm, then go back down to zero the next day. Nothing to worry about in my opinion.

Thank you all for your help. Being a first time pool owner and the only guy in my neighborhood using the TFP method, it is really nice to get valuable info quickly on this site.

Then you must have the nicest pool on the block ;)

Glad we can help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.