Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cleaning SWG

1. Back To Top    #1

Cleaning SWG

Hi all,

We had the pool refinished with pebble sheen. When I took the SWG out to clean I noticed there are little pebbles stuck inside the plates. I have tried forcing them out with a hose but they are stuck in there. SWG is working fine though. SHould I be concerned? Is there anything I can do to get them out? They aren't filled with them and flow seems fine but there are a handful stuck in there. I am wondering it they will damage the plates.

Thanks,

Greg
    15' x 30', 13.5K Gallons, Pebble Sheen, 2 Deck Jets, Haywood 4820 DE Filter, Haywood Northstar 1.5 HP Pump, Haywood T-Cell-15, Haywood Heat Pump, Haywood Navigator Pool Vac

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cleaning SWG

Try to gently nudge them out with something like a popsicle stick.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Ok. I just don't want to damage the plates. I guess I'll go buy some popsicles.
    15' x 30', 13.5K Gallons, Pebble Sheen, 2 Deck Jets, Haywood 4820 DE Filter, Haywood Northstar 1.5 HP Pump, Haywood T-Cell-15, Haywood Heat Pump, Haywood Navigator Pool Vac

4. Back To Top    #4

If they aren't long enough try chops sticks. You don't want to scrape the plates with anything metal as that can damage the coating on the plates.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

5. Back To Top    #5

Chinese and Popsicles for dessert. Now that's something I can get behind. I guess the question I have is how are they getting in there? Is your SWG put inline after the filter?

----
    15' x 29' 10,300 gal w/ spa, IG-Plaster (Stonescapes Tropics Blue), 2spd WhisperFlo pump (1.5hp WFDS-26), Pentair Clean and Clear CC200 cartridge filter, Pentair MasterTemp 300BTU heater, Clear o3, RS-8 iAqualink

6. Back To Top    #6

Or a wooden paint stir stick. The SGS Breeze SWGs comes with one. Work great.
    13k Pebbletec Pool/Spa, Hayward Ecostar, SGS Breeze 540 SWG, Pentair C&C 420 cartridge, Pentair MasterTemp Heater, Caretaker system, TF-100 & Taylor K1766 test kits

7. Back To Top    #7

Well that is what worried me. Yes, the SWG is after the filter - it is the last piece of equipment water flows through before heading out to the returns - so I am not sure how they could make it all the way to the SWG. We had the filters grids changed when we had the pool refinished. (Haywood DE filter - 4820). Odd??