Difference between VS pumps

Jul 27, 2016
Wesley Chapel
Hi all,

In looking at VS pumps I am not sure which my pool would need. On the suction side it appears I have 3 pipes coming in...the main drains come in as one 2 inch pipe. Then the skimmer comes in on a 1.5" pipe and the vac line comes in on a 1.5" pipe as well. When I turn the Pool Vac on I am supposed to turn the Main Drain off using the socket valve on the suction pipe.

I have 3 returns in the pool and there are also 2 bench/therapy jets. They return using 2" pipe but are on a valve, so either the bench jets are on or the returns are on. There are also 2 deck jets that are going to become pots/waterfalls that use 1.5" pipe but they can be on at the same time as the returns/bench jets. There is NO automation. Right now I still have an old Haywood Northstar pump with a Century 1.5 HP motor. (Which you all helped me save last week - thanks!!)

When I look on Amazon there isn't much difference in price betwen a Tristar and an Ecostar. But would a Tristar be more appropriate? Or is even that overkill? I do have a heater and a SWG (both Haywood) and have been reading interesting things on making sure it runs when the pump is on. But I have also read that some pumps can be kept on the timer and others can't.

So if a VS pump is something I am looking at, which one do you recommend? I am not ready yet but want to be ready in case my pump dies and can't be fixed. I understand just putting a VS motor into the existing pump is an option but not sure if it is worth it with the Northstar as that is an older pump.
View attachment 54065
Thanks,

Greg

There is not much difference between the EcoStar and TriStar except maybe a few software features. The TriStar is a bit more efficient than the EcoStar but not by much.

Another option if you don't have high flow rate requirements (e.g. spa jets) is the MaxFlo VS. It is usually at a much better price point than the other two. Amazon.com : Hayward SP2302VSP Max-Flo VS Variable-Speed Pool Pump Energy Star Certified : Patio, Lawn Garden

Replacing the motor is not a bad option either because wet ends last a very long time and you don't have to fuss with the plumbing.

However, if you go the VS route, make sure you get surge protection for the pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.