polyquat algaecide? Closing a pool question

Aug 3, 2016
syracuse NY
I read the article on closing an above ground pool, however I have two questions. Is there a specific polyquat algaecide I should buy? Should I buy that at a pool store? I have seen these chemical kits on line for closing a salt water pool, is that the same thing?
Second question, the digital read out for my salt water cell is attached to a panel (4 screws) should that be removed and taken inside as well as the other items (hoses, filter, etc.) of should I just cover the panel with a tarp and bungee cords? It gets very cold and snowy where I am, and I concerned about leaving anything outside that I shouldn't?

Trying to think ahead of what needs to be done before it gets cold out!

Polyquat-60 is the best way to purchase it. Any brand that specifically says 60% polyquat. I have bought mine online. Usually big box stores only have 15% polyquat or similar or have copper based algaecides, which are a no-no. I stay out of the pool store. Haven't been for 2+ years and I'm going for a record time without visiting. ;)

I can't speak to the control panel from experience but I would think if it is covered, it should be fine. If hoses are completely blown out with air, they can be left outside. The filter is up to you. Remove the cartridges and bring those inside and as long as you fully drain the filter housing, that would be fine outside. Covering anything you leave outside is a good idea but at the same time, wrapping things up too tight can lead to condensation/humidity under the tarp, causing problems as well. Cover but allow for air flow of some kind.

Ok thanks! I didn't want to buy the chemicals at the pool store! So I was hoping someone would tell me where to get it. That's the ONLY chemical I need to add before I close it for the winter?
Good point on the air flow under the tarp, I will make sure to remember that. Thanks again...

It comes in 1 quart bottles is that all I will need 1 quart? My pool is about 12,000 gallons

16 oz per 10,000 gallons is the suggested dosage for poly-60, so just over half a quart will work for your pool.

I don't have any experience with pillows for under the winter cover, but if I needed to use them I'd actually consider using tire inner tubes instead. They might be harder to find than they used to be, but are sure to be more durable through the winter under the cover.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.