Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Older SWG Performance Issues

1. Back To Top    #1

Older SWG Performance Issues

When I check my 2005 T-Cell-15 SWG during flow/filtering it appears to always shows very low amps/salt levels (200 ppm) when in the negative mode but when I force it to switch to positive mode the salt levels look fine (3,000 ppm). I may have the negative and positive modes mixed up but forcing the unit to switch shows good instant salt levels. My test strips indicate the salt is somewhere around 3,000 ppm. I looked at the SWG unit and hosed it out but do not see any significant build up. I am filtering about 8 hours at 70% chlorine generation and it is barely holding in the high 3's on Chlorine ppm. My chemistry is shown below. Is this a typical symptom of a old SWG needing replacement? Also two months ago I had the K1 relay fail on my Aqua Logic AQL-PS-8 PCB and replaced the entire board. At the time a Pool technician suggested I replace the T-Cell as well which I did not do. Is the board failure also a sign of a failing T-Cell? I appreciate any help or suggestions.

PH 7.4-7.8.....adding 32 oz muriatic acid 2x per week
    Chlorine 3.8 DPD titration
    Alkalinity 70
    CYA 70
    Salt 3000
    CSI 0.05
    30,000 Gal, IG, Gunite, Spa, Aqua Logic, Jandy CL 580 Cartridge, Jandy LX Gas Heater, FAS-DPD, T-Cell-15 SWG, Polaris 280.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Older SWG Performance Issues

Is the cell really 11 years old? That would be outstanding...usually they are 5 years tops. Generally when they fail, they will gradually read lower and lower salt levels even though the actual level remains constant. Eventually it will shut down due to this false low salt reading.

I'm a bit confused re: the amps and instant salt readings; the instant reading (negative) should approximately match the average reading (positive) shown on the display.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

Those were the same symptoms my first T-15 cell had when it failed. You could try to see if a nearby pool store has a tester for it, most Leslie's have them.

The board and cell failures are not related.

I would say you have had great success if that system is 11 years old.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you both for responding. I plan to take it to Leslie's for testing.

5. Back To Top    #5

My swg was tested and is bad as I suspected. Since we are getting into fall I am considering postponing a purchase until late winter or early spring. I live in GA and do not close the pool for winter but the chlorine demand is very minimal during this time. Any suggestions on whether to add liquid chlorine or tablets through the winter or whether I ought to just replace the swg now?

6. Back To Top    #6

Your best option would be to add liquid chlorine and then in the spring buy a new cell. This way you will save 6 months or so of warranty.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process