Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New pool motor running hot? Can't touch it for more than 5 seconds

1. Back To Top    #1

New pool motor running hot? Can't touch it for more than 5 seconds

Recently had my pool motor replaced due to the old one getting fried due to lack of water circulating (had a guest drain the pool on accident). While the motor is on and working, motor seems to work fine but I can only put my hand on it for 5 seconds or less before it gets too hot. My pool guy says it's fine (he's the one that installed it) but the guy has made so many mistakes that I don't have any confidence in what he says.

Pool Motor:
    Century - B855
    HP 2.0
    Volts 230
    amps SF 10.0
    rpm 3450
    frame Y56Y
    shaft 1/2 threads
    bearing ball brg

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New pool motor running hot? Can't touch it for more than 5 seconds

Welcome to the forum. Plenty of air circulation around it?
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Electric motors are not 100% efficient. Say the motor is drawing 2300 Watts (10 Amps x 230 Volts) and is 80% efficient, it would dissipate 460 Watts of energy as heat. A 2 horsepower motor running continuously will feel hot to the touch. Ambient air temperature will add to this heat also. So hands off!
    38000 Gal, IG, Plaster, 20' x 40' x 10', Attached Raised Spa, Intelliflo VS 3 HP (011018), Pentair Quad DE 60 Filter, Raypak (Rheem) 400,000 BTU (407a low Nox), Easy Touch 8 upgrade, Screenlogic 2 with wireless, IS-4 Spa Side Remote, Stenner 45MPHP10 w/15 gal tank, Intellibrite 5g (3), Dolphin Triton Plus robot with PRO remote, Water Tech Catfish handheld vacuum for spa, TF100 with SpeedStir.

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

I've notice if I touch the side of the pump facing the sun it's very hot. If I touch the shaded side, it wasn't.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Do you know the pump make and model# (not motor info)? The B855 is an up rated motor and if you have a 2 HP full rated pump, then it will overload the motor.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater