New to taking care of my pool

Sep 1, 2016
Houston
My husband, our son and I moved into our house with a pool 4 years ago. We didn't really trust any of the pool companies cleaning our pool but with a baby and full time jobs we didn't have the time to figure it out. The pool stopped working about 1 1/2 years ago and due to circumstances, we just left it alone. After spending most of the summer in Michigan, the sweltering Houston heat motivated me to fix our green, smelly pool. It didn't take long to discover the electrical cords to the pool in the breaker box were fried. We replaced the whole box and the filter worked. I dealt with 3 pool companies in about a week. One was through Home Shield and didn't bother telling me I couldn't get anything taken care of by our home warranty since the pool hadn't been maintained until after he wasted my time and took my $75 service fee. The next guy charged me $190 to replace the spider gasket within the multiport diverter and to "rebuild" the top part which broke 3 days later. Upon contacting him he said to go buy a new multiport diverter and explained the cheap plastic breaks often. I bought one for $90 at Leslies and replaced it myself. The third company said it would cost $780 to get my pool swimmable. All of this led me to figure it all out myself. I started this endeavor 3 weeks ago and we were able to swim in it this week! I've learned how to take apart the filter to spray off the grids and manifold, vacuum to waste, unclog clogs with a water hose attachment and figure out some of the chemicals. Leslies has been the most helpful but once I began price checking I became disgusted by them, too. Everything about pools is new to me and I'm having a lot of fun learning about them. This has become my newest hobby.

I teach full time at a community college and in the little spare time I have I like to read, meditate, swim, and just relax.

Good for you taking that pool in hand!

I think there are some less scrupulous repair folks who take advantage of owner ignorance and just go for the fast buck. No one is going to care about your pool as much as you do.

You picked the best test kit also... it will be your new best friend :)