Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: High alkalinity

1. Back To Top    #1

High alkalinity

Just installed pool about 5 days ago and filled with my own water. My alkaline is about 350 ppm and ph is about 7.4. I only plan on having pool open a few more weeks. Should I be concerned about my alkaline numbers? Also should I bother putting in stabilizer this season. I am having friends and family over for swimming in 3 days. As of now the pool looks great, the water is crystal clear. Thanks.
    17kgal,ag,1.5hp heyward, 19"sand pump, Taylor test kit, self install 8/27/16

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: High alkalinity

The high TA will cause the PH to rise. You;ll add acid - which will lower both the PH and the TA. Other than that I wouldn't worry about it.

Definitely add a little CYA this year. It's hard to maintain an outdoor chlorine pool with 0 CYA.
    16K Gal Plaster | Compupool SWG | Intelliflow VF | TF-100

3. Back To Top    #3

Add some muriatic acid? I have some just haven't used it yet.
    17kgal,ag,1.5hp heyward, 19"sand pump, Taylor test kit, self install 8/27/16

4. Back To Top    #4

Take a look at this tutorial: Pool School - PoolMath

It will help you calculate your additions.

When you use MA, be sure to position yourself upwind, hold your breath, wear glasses if you have them, and also kinda guesstimate your add. If a splash catches you in the eye, just flush quickly for 15 seconds or jump in the pool with your eyes open.

Also, wait 1/2 hour between MA and chlorine additions.

5. Back To Top    #5

The calculator calls for over 4lbs of stabilizer. So I just keep filling a sock, let it hang in the jet stream and let it disperse? I did some this morning and I can see a cloud of the stabilizer dispersing from the sock. Is this what I want?

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes, that is the goal. Squeeze the sock to help it dissolve faster. You can use more than one sock. I used knee highs last time because they hold more.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach