Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: TFTestKit delivered. Should I test the tap water?

1. Back To Top    #1

TFTestKit delivered. Should I test the tap water?

I received my TF-100 test kit today. My pool build is about 2-weeks from pool fill. Does it make sense to test my tap water now? If so, which tests do I run?
    InGround; gunite; 21x38 17,021 gallons; Jandy E-Pump 2.0HP; Jandy 80GPM booster pump; Jandy 460 sq. ft. cartridge filter; Aqualink w/ PDA; Chlorine feeder; UV sanitizer; Polaris 3900 w/ pump; 2-Jandy LED lights; 2-deck jets; 2-18" sheer descents; 1-24" sheer descent
    deck=560 sq. ft. 2-color rock texture.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: TFTestKit delivered. Should I test the tap water?

Yes, you can run all the tests on your tap water... but the CYA test probably is not necessary, as they don't put stabilizer in tap water... it will come back as "0", and you will have wasted your some of your supplies for nothing.
    Running a test on your tap water will let you get familiar with the kit, and maybe let you know what you will be starting with when it comes time to start filling the pool.
    14600 gal Intex 24' Round 52" deep AG Pool (Heavily Modified)
    200lb sand filter w/2 speed 1.5/0.5hp pump
    Stenner 45MHP10 Liquid Chlorine (well... bleach) Injector. Borates added.
    K-2006 test kit w/Speedstir
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

3. Back To Top    #3

TA and Calcium numbers are probably the most relevant to tap water. Though it is interesting to test FC levels out of the Tap.

That being said - your tap water numbers are not going to change much in terms of pool maintenance. Your Pool builder is doing the initial start up - yes?
    16K Gal Plaster | Compupool SWG | Intelliflow VF | TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

PB is doing initial startup and first month maintenance. I don't want to interfere with their maintenance as it is part of the contract. But I will be checking the water routinely to begin to understand. I'm a first time pool owner. I don't really understand the chemicals until I apply what I have read here.

Thanks for the responses. I'll post the results soon

InGround; gunite; 21x38 17,021 gallons; Jandy E-Pump 2.0HP; Jandy 80GPM booster pump; Jandy 460 sq. ft. cartridge filter; Aqualink w/ PDA; Chlorine feeder; UV sanitizer; Polaris 3900 w/ pump; 2-Jandy LED lights; 2-deck jets; 2-18" sheer descents; 1-24" sheer descent

5. Back To Top    #5

Testing your tap water is good. It will give you a base reference. That way when you have to add water to your pool in the middle of the summer, you'll know what's going into it. Many people here have high CH and/or high TA so when they add water to the pool they know those will rise.
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

6. Back To Top    #6

knowing what your tap water is will give you an idea of what changes may take place in your pool. After all, you will regularly have to add tap water to replace the water that evaporates.

If your tap is high in CH, you can expect your CH to climb over time, and you will need to learn how to manage that.
    Same goes for TA.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

7. Back To Top    #7

What he said ^ hit the nail.
    Lately, our 20k gals pool is losing about an inch of water everyday due to evaporation. I am topping off every other day and within 2 months, my CH climbed from 250 to 350.
    With the current water restrictions, not sure what to next when CH reached the unmanageable level.

Here's my number from our city fill water for your reference;
    PH = 8+
    CH = 175
    TA = 130
    20k gallons, IG plaster with raised Spa, Hayward C-4000 cartridge, Hayward TriStar SP3202VSP, Hayward H400 gas heater, Hayward Super II (2HP) Spa jets, Hayward Swimpure Plus T-15,
    Intermatic PS3000 SPD, PureLine-PureColor LED's, Dolphin Triton cleaning robot, Taylor K-2006, K-1766, OTO Test kit & various Guess strips.

8. Back To Top    #8

So here are my tap water results...

PH = 7.8
    CH = 175
    TA = 120

Should I have had a reading for CL?

CL = 3

I wasn't expecting to have chlorine in my tap water.

9. Back To Top    #9

Everyone has chlorine in their tap water. That is how they sanitize it at the water treatment plant.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach