Ozone sanitation

Aug 13, 2016
Parker, Tx
First off, I am new to the forum and the information that everyone shares is extremely helpful. We are looking to build a pool, and have never owned one before, so we are very much green to all that is involved in this process. But we are slowly learning thanks in no small part to this site. So far, we've talked to two different PB's and both have recommended ozone sanitation. The second builder even talked about ozone with electric discharge. I know the general consensus on here is the ozone is worthless, but is there anyone that uses ozone in their pool? If so, what has your experience been with it?

Nobody here. It really has no value in a residential, outdoor pool. No matter what you are being told to the contrary. You still have to use some form of chlorine to actually have a clean and clear pool. So why add the expense and trouble of something that is benefiting you? Think of it like this, with an ozone generator, only the water that passes through the cell is getting 'treated'. There is no residual for the rest of the water. So you need to add chlorine in some form, to keep the water sanitized. Well, heck! If you are still adding bleach, why mess with the ozone in the first place.

That is not exactly true, I actually own 2 ozonators, and use one of them, but also agree with the party line here that they are not needed on the typical outdoor residential pool. The one I do use is on my stand alone hot tub and feel it does help remove organic build up in that situation, however hot tubs are not pools as the ratio of bather to water volume is MUCH higher and so are the operating temperatures. The other one I have I bought really cheap new in the box off ebay for my indoor pool which does not get the UV exposure that a typical outdoor residential pool receives so might benefit from supplemental oxidation, however after following the TFP method for the last 6 years I find I rarely have a CC issue that would warrant the use of the Ozonator, instead on those rare occasions where I get some CC buildup (after pool parties, etc.) I just use some MPS to clear it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.