Stupid Question of the Day

Laenini

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 7, 2008
Brooklyn Park, MN
I was digging around in my garage today and came across a box that some of the pool parts had come in. Peering into it, I found a rectangle piece of plastic that is roughly the size of the skimmer opening. The plastic says "Hayward" on it and looks like it snaps right into the skimmer and maybe acts as some sort of flap over the opening. So, what is this flap for? When should I be using it? Should I even be using it at all? Maybe its purpose should be obvious to me, but I am afraid it isn't. :oops: Can anyone educate me on this? :)

It sounds like a weir, which is the flap that ideliver speaks of. Does it have a piece of styrofoam on the back of it?

Weirs aid in the suction of the skimmer. Here's a post I made a while back inquiring about weirs; theres some really good explanations of what a weir is needed for.

Weirs and tennis balls

If it's big enough to fit over the faceplate of the skimmer, then it could be a cover that's used to close off the skimmer during the winter.

Yep, its a weir I'm sure now! There is styrofoam attached to the backside of it and it isn't quite as tall as the skimmer opening, so it wouldn't be any type of winter closure I'm sure. I'm going to put it in tomorrow and see what it does. Thanks for the help! I learn so much from all of you! :goodjob:

Always glad to help! :-D Just FYI - the styrofoam faces in towards the skimmer. If it's like mine (two little pegs at the bottom of the weir fit into two holes in bottom front of the throat of the skimmer), it'll be easier to install from the pool side of the skimmer.

MikeInTN said:
Always glad to help! :-D Just FYI - the styrofoam faces in towards the skimmer. If it's like mine (two little pegs at the bottom of the weir fit into two holes in bottom front of the throat of the skimmer), it'll be easier to install from the pool side of the skimmer.

The weir actually allows the skimmer to work properly...it keeps the water flow regular, if I run skimmer without it, it sucks a lot of water into the skimmer and then the water flow stops...then the pump re primes and it sucks a lot more water into the skimmer...Kinda like a toilet flushing. With the weir in the water just flows into the skimmer at a steady rate and keeps the Crud on the surface of the water flowing into the skimmer as well. It comes in handy for sure.

I just wanted to say Thank-You for this thread. The information I gained from it has made a difference in my pool.

Some years ago I took the weir out because it was just such a hassle to deal with when hooking up the vacuum. After reading this thread and the one referenced in it about weirs and tennis balls I scrounged through the various pool boxes, retrieved the weirs and put it back in. What a difference it makes!

Happy Father's Day to all you dads out there!

I hear you Anna. Several years back we replaced our skimmer faceplate with an "AquaDoor" for winterization, so I don't have to drain in the winter. But our old faceplate had the weir attaching to it. And the new one didn't. So we've been without a weir for 6 years now and it is definetly doesn't skim as well without one.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Oh great. I also saw this piece of plastic with the Styrofoam and was not sure if that was something to use when winterizing the pool (since the pool installers did not put it in) so I just kept it in the garage. But I will put it in now and see what the difference is. I did realize that some of the beetles in the skimmer will float back into the pool when I shut the pump off to clean the skimmer and backwash and such. So I guess this is to prevent this! I am so glad I read this! Thanks guys.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.