Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Choosing a robot for an AGP

1. Back To Top    #1

Choosing a robot for an AGP

Hi, everyone. Need some advice and direction. I've done some digging in the threads and articles and a lot of the discussion I see have been for IG pool cleaners. I've searched online pool retailers and checked the specs. Seeing that Dolphin is well spoken of in this forum, I am looking closely at the Dolphin Escape (aka Active 10/S50/E-10) which is recommended for AGP.

Thoughts or advice? Responses from anyone who has an AGP with a robot would be greatly appreciated. Which robot are you guys using and how long have you owned it? How is it on the liner?

Just tired of using the vacuum only to see the dirt settle once the pump is off.

Thanks so much.
    -- 15 x 24 AG, 8700gal, Hayward XStream Cartridge Filtration with 1.5 HP Power-Flo LX Pump, Dolphin Escape, Taylor K-2006 --

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Choosing a robot for an AGP

Bumping your post, to see if you can have some responses, but have you read about the pool rover Jr?

Amazon.com : Aquabot APRVJR Pool Rover Junior Robotic Above-Ground Pool Cleaner, Color May Vary : Swimming Pool Cleaning Tools : Patio, Lawn Garden
    8,400 gal Intex, 3K GPH pump, 16" sand filter, SWG CG-28669, TF100 test kit, speed stir, K-1766 Taylor salt test.

The corner stone of TFP
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks, Piolin. I was looking at that also but the reviews seemed mixed and I wanted some real owner's feedback. Thanks again for the response.
    -- 15 x 24 AG, 8700gal, Hayward XStream Cartridge Filtration with 1.5 HP Power-Flo LX Pump, Dolphin Escape, Taylor K-2006 --

4. Back To Top    #4

You'll have a tough time beating the Pool Rover Jr.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

I tried a Rover and it did not work on my dished pool. I think it would have if the dish were more sloped. Good luck!
    17,500 gal. ABG Doughboy Pool
    1/2 HP Pump/150 sq.ft. Cartridge Filter
    TF100 Test Kit And Speedstir

6. Back To Top    #6

Bought a Pool Rover Jr 3 years and it died early summer this year (erratic reverse mostly no reverse). Replaced with a newer version of the same and noticed right away it moved a whole lot slower. Hopefully this one lasts longer than 2 1/2 summers. It does work great in my 15x30 AGP except for around the edges where there's some debris settling. Hate having to spend any more than $250 for a robot..even though I have spent significantly more than that now total.

7. Back To Top    #7

I have the Dolphin Escape, it's been great so far, no problems, no issues with cord tangling or anything.
    AGP 33' x 54" Lomart Verona, Approx. 27,300 gallons, Pentair cartridge filter/pump 2-speed, 1.5 hp, Dolphin Escape robotic cleaner.

8. Back To Top    #8

I ordered the Dolphin Escape, should deliver today. Will post review when I've put it to use. Thanks for the input, everyone.

9. Back To Top    #9

After 24 years of vacuuming, bought a Dolphin S50. Have ran it twice so far and it works great. Have 24ft ABG pool with stairs. It does get hung up around the stairs and I have to push it off. But I don't mind that love it so far. Time will tell.
    POOL-24ft Above ground, Vinyl 16000 gal
    FILTER-Hayward EC-40 DE filter
    TEST KIT- Taylor -K2006
    Dolphin Robot Cleaner S50

10. Back To Top    #10

Do any of them pick up sand?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Back To Top    #11

I've had the Dolphin Escape for a couple of weeks and so far, I'm quite satisfied. It does pick up fine dirt and sand, I've had to clean up quite a bit from the filter and they were not so visible in the pool. It also handles leaves and bugs very well. It even attempts to climb up the walls, almost up to the water line but it due to the curved walls, it backs down.

The cord has a floating bouy that keeps it from tangling in the water.

So far, I'm really pleased with my purchase.
    Last edited by vivCDG; 09-27-2016 at 10:06 AM. Reason: added model

12. Back To Top    #12

Hello vivCDG, I'm curious how the rest of last season went for you with the Dolphin Escape? Any updates to report?
    AG Intex Ultra Frame 18x48 - new for '15. TF100 test kit. Intex 3,000 gph sand filter/pump, Solar Cover, Intex magnetic pool light, Hayward Skimmer, Laars 250kBtu/hr NG heater. Intex SWG.

13. Back To Top    #13

I bought a Dolphin Nautilus Plus for my AGP. Been very pleased so far.
    19328 Gallon Above-Ground Pool. Clean&Clear Pentair Cartridge Filter. Opti-flo 2 Stage 1.5hp Pump. Dolphin Nautilus Plus "Flipper" Robot. Established April 2016. Taylor K-2006. Chlorine Based. 340gallon Marquis Spa. Bromine based. Established 2007.