Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Moisture around pump

1. Back To Top    #1
    Memphis, TN

Moisture around pump

New pool owner as of a couple of months. When I bought the house, had a pool inspection and the inspector noted there was small leak at the pump and recommended having it repaired which we asked for. At the walk through, I checked this and did not see any appearance of water leakage. They claimed to have had it repaired, but I didn't ask for details on what was done at the time. Now it seems to be happening again. I mean, it's not like a steady flow or anything, but the concrete under the pump is always wet.

This is something I need to get fixed ASAP right?

Based on my research it sounds like it could be the shaft seal? And is this a DIY kinda thing?

(I should add the pump appears to be operating fine in spite of this)
    Last edited by Bigdog43; 09-01-2016 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Adding current status of pump
    Memphis, TN.
    Pool IG, 20K gallon, Gunite. Triton Sand filter, Chlorinating Liquid, Rock Water Feature, New plaster 2015
    Spa 450 gal, Tropic Seas Waikiki 864L, Bromine
    Taylor K-2006

2. Back To Top    #2
    Pleasanton, CA

Re: Moisture around pump

It is probably a failed seal and yes it needs to be fixed or the motor bearings could fail.
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner