Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Leaving pump running constantly

1. Back To Top    #1

Leaving pump running constantly

Previous owner of my house/pool left the pump running 24/7/365. Is this normal and/or recommended? It has one of the Intermatic timers, but there's no on/off clips on it. Was wondering if I could get some and start turning it off for certain timeframes (maybe in the middle of the night for a few hours).
    Memphis, TN.
    Pool IG, 20K gallon, Gunite. Triton Sand filter, Pentair Pump, Polaris 280, Doheny Discovery Dolphin, Chlorinating Liquid, Rock Water Feature, New Plaster 2015
    Spa 450 gal, Tropic Seas Waikiki 864L, Bromine
    Taylor K-2006

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Leaving pump running constantly

Yes! Most pools need the pump to run between 4 and 8 hours.

More here, Pool School - Determine Pump Run Time
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Take a look here

Pool School - Determine Pump Run Time

and see if that starts to answer your questions. And feel free to post further questions, of course!

On a different topic, if you do some further reading on this forum, you'll find that mineral sanitizers and use of trichlor tabs (both mentioned in your signature) can be problematic in the long run...
    18' x 48" ring top pool (Summer Escapes); 5500 gallons; set up June - October, stored during winter; Intex 2500 gph pump (B size cartridge filter) Hayward 21" sand filter + 1.5 hp single speed Powerflo Matrix pump (upgrade October 2016) *** K-2006 test kit, refills from tftestkits

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by singingpond View Post
    Take a look here

Pool School - Determine Pump Run Time

and see if that starts to answer your questions. And feel free to post further questions, of course!

On a different topic, if you do some further reading on this forum, you'll find that mineral sanitizers and use of trichlor tabs (both mentioned in your signature) can be problematic in the long run...
    Yes, I'm becoming aware as I hang around this forum. I inherited all of this a couple months ago and I'm trying to take in all this info. Definitely going to look into this.
    Memphis, TN.
    Pool IG, 20K gallon, Gunite. Triton Sand filter, Pentair Pump, Polaris 280, Doheny Discovery Dolphin, Chlorinating Liquid, Rock Water Feature, New Plaster 2015
    Spa 450 gal, Tropic Seas Waikiki 864L, Bromine
    Taylor K-2006

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

The trippers are dirt cheap. Intermatic 156T1978A | Additional Trippers | 4 Pack

You can set it to turn the pump on for a few hours during the day, night, whenever. If you have extra trippers you can just stack them against each other, two offs back to back is the same as 1 off, etc. I set mine to run from 2-6pm everyday but it's all preference as long as you get enough pump hours per day.
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bruce View Post
    The trippers are dirt cheap. Intermatic 156T1978A | Additional Trippers | 4 Pack

You can set it to turn the pump on for a few hours during the day, night, whenever. If you have extra trippers you can just stack them against each other, two offs back to back is the same as 1 off, etc. I set mine to run from 2-6pm everyday but it's all preference as long as you get enough pump hours per day.
    I bought additional trippers - I'm sure they paid for themselves within days. Running my pump on intervals lets the skimmer keep the surface clean of debris and provides circulation within reason without a huge electric bill. (well, the elec bill is still huge, but at least the pool isn't to blame)
    12,000 gal Diamond Brite indoor​ pool. Pentair Triton TR-60 Sand Filter +added DE, Lochinvar Energyrite ERN-200 gas heater, Pentair Multi-valve, Pentair SuperFlo VS pump, TF-100 kit, Pool Math App - iOS

8. Back To Top    #8

I gradually reduced my daily in-season pump run time til I found what keeps the water clear.

2 hours is all I run M-F. On weekends I run it much longer during swimming (to keep debris off surface) usually 6 to 8 hours.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Part of it is a preference too. I am replacing my single speed pump with a VS pump which will let me at a lower RPM which is enough to satisfy salt water generator and run 24/7 at about the same power as my old pump ran for 70 minutes. I personally want to run my pump that way to have constant water flow and circulation.
    38'x16' Fiberglass pool - 3.5' - 8' deep - 19,000 gallons. AutoPilot Total Control SWG (RC-52 cell), Pentair SuperFlo VS, Pentair SD70 Sand Filter, Coverstar Automatic Cover, 10' board, PAL Treo lighting, Polaris 9550 Sport robot, Lamotte ColorQ Pro 7 test kit.

10. Back To Top    #10

I'd like a VS pump. I'm pretty sure my pump is the same one they used to de-water the Costa Concordia.
    12,000 gal Diamond Brite indoor​ pool. Pentair Triton TR-60 Sand Filter +added DE, Lochinvar Energyrite ERN-200 gas heater, Pentair Multi-valve, Pentair SuperFlo VS pump, TF-100 kit, Pool Math App - iOS

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Rollercoastr View Post
    I'd like a VS pump. I'm pretty sure my pump is the same one they used to de-water the Costa Concordia.
    ROFL... Thanks for the chuckle!
    18' x 48" ring top pool (Summer Escapes); 5500 gallons; set up June - October, stored during winter; Intex 2500 gph pump (B size cartridge filter) Hayward 21" sand filter + 1.5 hp single speed Powerflo Matrix pump (upgrade October 2016) *** K-2006 test kit, refills from tftestkits

12. Back To Top    #12

The Pentair Superflo VS pump is a nice 1-1/2 hp VS pump. The 342001 is the one, not the 342000. It is fairly reasonably priced and runs on 110v or 220v.
    TFP Moderator

13. Back To Top    #13

That's what I have, the 342001. A little over powered for my pool but I love the vs.

Mark, Pool: 30,000 gallon, IG Vinyl, Pentair Superflo Variable Speed 1.5 HP pump, Hayward S220T Sand Filter, Taylor k-2006 Test kit with speedstir. Dolphin Nautilus Plus.
    Hot Tub: Hot Spring Grandee 450 Gallons, Ace System (Salt water Chlorine Generator) Dichlor / Bleach method. Taylor K1766 Salt Test.