Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Taking averages of readings

1. Back To Top    #1

Taking averages of readings

Hi

So i am waiting on international shipping for my TF 100 refills. Cost me an arm and a leg... but the package could still be another 2-3 weeks.

In the mean time, I am testing using the K2006 colour chart and the Scuba II.

Yesterday i shocked the pool to ~9 ppm FC because i noticed some slight cloudy/milky water. This morning the pool is a lot better, not perfect, but, getting there.

I'm really not sure about the Scuba II results, and whether to just return it for a refund... I tested at one end of my pool today and got a reading of 3.7. That seemed to drop very quickly from 9 overnight, so i tested the other end of the pool and got a reading of 5.6. And for the sake of it, I took a reading from the middle of the pool and got 4.9.

What on earth is my FC level? Should I take an average of the three?

Is it really possible to get 3 different readings from 3 different parts of the pool?

I hope FedEx get a wiggle on with my TF100 refills. I miss my FAS/DPD test!

Thanks
    Joe
    26500 Litre (6000 imp gallon) Above ground vinyl pool. Manufactured by GRE (Spain). 10 years old this year.
    Sand filter. Single speed pump. Elecro 9kW heater.
    Test using a TF 100 kit and AquaChek strips if desperate!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Taking averages of readings

Quote Originally Posted by joecoyle View Post
    Hi

So i am waiting on international shipping for my TF 100 refills. Cost me an arm and a leg... but the package could still be another 2-3 weeks.

In the mean time, I am testing using the K2006 colour chart and the Scuba II.

Yesterday i shocked the pool to ~9 ppm FC because i noticed some slight cloudy/milky water. This morning the pool is a lot better, not perfect, but, getting there.

I'm really not sure about the Scuba II results, and whether to just return it for a refund... I tested at one end of my pool today and got a reading of 3.7. That seemed to drop very quickly from 9 overnight, so i tested the other end of the pool and got a reading of 5.6. And for the sake of it, I took a reading from the middle of the pool and got 4.9.

What on earth is my FC level? Should I take an average of the three?

Is it really possible to get 3 different readings from 3 different parts of the pool?

I hope FedEx get a wiggle on with my TF100 refills. I miss my FAS/DPD test!

Thanks
    Joe
    Did you wait a few minutes and retest at the same spot(s)? It's hard to assume you're getting an accurate reading at all without some calibration. Test once, wait five minutes and test the same spot again. If your readings are identical then I'd give the Scuba ii a bit more credibility. Otherwise it's just a random mess.
    Geebot
    Chicago, IL
    30K gal, InGround Plaster Finish, 3.5'-9.5', Maytronics S300 Cleaner

3. Back To Top    #3

Yeah you zero the Scuba II with plain pool water before adding the tablets.

I will try waiting and retesting the same spot now and let you know the results in about 10 minutes.

Thanks
    Joe
    26500 Litre (6000 imp gallon) Above ground vinyl pool. Manufactured by GRE (Spain). 10 years old this year.

4. Back To Top    #4

So it looks like its a random mess, one test came up with 3.2 and 5 minutes later it was 5.1.

I'm going to return it, or eBay it.

Thanks
    Joe