Just got my TF100 today... Now what?

My TF100 came today with all the bells and whistles! I got the speedstir, a copper test kit and a salt test kit too. I followed all the instructions and here's what I got:

FC: 1
CC: 1 (maybe .5, I wasn't 100% sure on this one)
TC: 2
pH: 8.2
CH: 50
TA: 110
CYA: 0 (this is a weird test, I filled the whole vile and the black dot didn't change at all. Am I doing it right?)
Salt: 3400
Copper: .05

I plugged all my numbers into pool math and I have a few questions... First I'll tell you what pool math says to do:

I used these as my target numbers:
FC: 4
pH: 7.6
CH: 50
TA: 70
CYA: 70
Salt: 3000

Add 36oz of 8.25% bleach (that's it?? That's not even half a gallon?? Oh, and how do I know it's 8.25%?)
Add 12oz of muriatic acid (where do I get this and how would I measure it? The word acid just scares me a little)
Add 77oz (by weight) stabilizer (can I trust the one from the pool store? I read here that pool store chemicals tend to have other chemicals mixed in as well. Otherwise, where can I get it?)

Should I pick up dichlor at the pool store, I remember reading here that it also has stabilizer and can lower the pH - would that solve all my problems in one shot?

I have 2 gallons of what I think is 8.25% bleach in the house already. Everything else will have to wait until I can go shopping tomorrow. Should I put the bleach in tonight? Should I put in a whole gallon?

Any advice is appreciated :)

How does your water look? If you haven't added anything with CYA in it, it very well might be zero. Some bagged "shock" has calcium instead of stabilizer. It is okay to get at the pool store, just don't let them push anything on you!
Half a gallon of bleach sounds right for that size pool to add 3ppm.
Muriatic acid can be bought at a home improvement store, such as Lowes. It can be in the pool section or the paint section. Use caution when adding. Don't add it and the chlorine or bleach within 30 minutes of each other, and store in separate areas.

Glad you got your test kit :) and nice to meet you via TFP.

Use only chlorine with x.xx% sodium hypochlorite showing on the bottle and use that % in PoolMath

For muriatic acid (MA) try paint or cement department at Home Depot or the like. Or search some threads for other options.

Walmart or pool $tore for stabilizer (CYA, cyanuric acid)

Dichlor would take a month to add enough CYA. Stick to bleach or pool chlorinating liquid

Trust your results, add what PoolMath says. You don't need a gallon of bleach. Test daily and dose based on PoolMath for a while. Dial in your SWG so it can take over.

Check out if you can turn the copper ionizer off and let us know because TFPC doesn't include copper dosing. There's plenty of threads here describing the risks, and by all means you must decide this for yourself. I know you might be able to use less chlorine and it's kinda cool that the Romans used metals to prevent algae, but we tend to stick to modern methods that also eliminate risks from person-to-person disease transfer. Chlorine is by far the safest and most benign method for keeping water clean.

Add enough stabilizer to get to 50 ppm for starters. You don't want to accidentally overshoot with CYA.

Be careful with MA. Wear big sunnies or safety glasses, stay upwind or hold your breath. It doesn't bring any long term health risks, but getting any in your eye is bad news. Getting a whiff will startle you and cause you to move away, but it doesn't cause chronic risks. You can buy weak stuff which has less fumes, I think around 15%. Most of us here use 31% because it's cheaper after you consider that you use less of it. If you splash any 31% on your skin, don't panic, but rinse it off within a few minutes. As far as measuring, your number says a cup and a half, so just open the jug and float it on the water. Estimate your 1.5 cups and see how it goes next time you test.

I just want to say thank you for all the reading you've done. Clearly you've learned lots from Pool School and you're well on your way.

I really like the first two posts in this thread and maybe you will too: TFPC for Beginners

First, thank you for your replies!! I really do try to read as much here as possible and I really want to use the TFP method. I love that everyone here is so nice and soooooo helpful. This is complicated stuff and there is definitely a learning curve!

So of course, I have more questions and here's a little more info as well.

It's a brand new above ground pool, installed about two weeks ago. We took the water to the pool store after it was up and running with the SWG for about a week and they told me it was perfect. I've been on here reading for a while now and I just didn't trust that at all. The water is crystal clear, no issues, but my test strips never registered any chlorine - that's when I decided to order the TF100.

I went to pick up the stabilizer today at the pool store - I only got 4lbs, since that was the size of the tub. I'll start with some of that and test again. I read that I'm supposed to put it in a sock and put it in my skimmer, but since I have an Intex SWG and Sand Filter - will that hurt my system at all? Plus, how would I fit all that in a sock?? I also read not to backwash for a week and I'm due for a vacuuming so should I vacuum and backwash before adding it? Is it still safe to swim while that stuff is in the skimmer? Do I have to run the pump 24/7 for a week straight? (sorry so many questions!!)

I'll pick up the muriatic acid tonight after dinner at Home Depot or Lowes. If I don't use all of the chemicals this summer, can I keep them for next summer and use them then? I will wait 1/2 hour in between bleach and acid - but does it matter what order I put things in? Should I get the CYA up before adding the Chlorine and then drop the pH?

The chlorine that I got from the grocery store said 8.25% sodium hypochlorite with a couple of other things listed below that - but it was the plain unscented store brand kind.

As for the copper ionizer, I pulled the plug out after my first post a few days ago. It's just kind of dangling there, but from what other posters said, I think that's okay. I probably didn't need the copper test kit, but with such low chlorine all the time, I was convinced it was what was keeping my pool clear and I was terrified it would stain the new pool. I had an Intex Ultra Frame the past 3 years before the new install 2 weeks ago. Plus, the more I read, the more I worried about the low chlorine levels!

How do you recommend measuring the correct amounts of bleach, acid, cya? Should I get a glass measuring cup just for pool chemicals? Can i use the same one for all the chemicals if I rinse it out in between? Can I put the measuring cup on a scale to weigh the CYA (I do have a food scale).

Thanks again, I know it's a LOT of questions. I just want to make sure I'm doing it right :)

I fit about 2 lbs of CYA in a sock at a time. It's safe while swimming. You don't need to run the pump 24/7 for a week, but you do need to run it while the CYA is dissolving. You can take the sock out when the pump is going to stop. I just put it in a pail then put it back in next time I can. Don't leave it in the skimmer with the pump off. It won't hurt you system unless it's blocking suction, which you can see if your filter pressure drops significantly. An alternative is to hang it from a stick, kinda like a fishing pole leaned against the pool so the sock hangs down in front of a return jet. Massage the sock every 15 minutes or so to help it dissolve. If you need a backwash, then yes, do that before adding the CYA.

Bleach has a shelf life issue, but the rest will store fine.

Always keep your FC above minimum, so it's the priority and can be added first but it doesn't matter much between that and acid, because you can do them about 15 minutes apart. The CYA can be hanging/dissolving as you do the others.

It's good to worry about low FC, cause it's a lot of work getting rid of algae. But don't worry too much. You're doing great!!

I don't like glass around the pool, so I use plastic everything. You can estimate the bleach with a bit of practice, and maybe the MA as well. If measuring, use a plastic measuring cup. Rinsing is OK if it's done very well, but many people prefer separate ones for bleach and acid. One of the worst dangers around a pool is mixing concentrated MA and concentrated bleach, which gives off chlorine gas in a strong form. Never let that happen.

You're doing amazingly well. Great to see your success in taking control of your pool. :)

Update: I added everything last night... I got about 2lbs of the CYA into a tube sock and it's sitting in my skimmer basket. I've kept the pump running since last night to let it dissolve. I can still run my SWG while it's in there, right?

Adding the muriatic acid was SCARY!! It was a pretty funny sight too - I had fake glasses on, a green scarf wrapped around my face and pink rubber gloves LOLOL!! I really hope I don't have to do that too often! Probably worth it though since a half hour later my pH was down to 7.2 (yay!)

Also, I know I'm supposed to listen to the pool math calculator, but I added more bleach than needed. I ended up adding the entire gallon. I was nervous about the CC because when I originally did the test it was either .5 or 1, it was hard to tell - so I wanted to give my pool a little bit of a shock, just in case. My plan is to keep an eye on the chlorine and now since it's the weekend I'm going to an overnight FC loss test. If I don't lose anything, I won't run my SWG until the FC comes down to the normal range. By that time, hopefully the CYA will be dissolved and I can slide into a routine with the SWG.

I can't thank you enough for your help, I feel so much more comfortable now, knowing that my kids are swimming in a safe pool :)

Sounds like you are on the right track! We love newbies like you :)

Adding too much bleach won't speed up the process and will just waste $ and increases the chances of damaging equipment. If you'll be away from the house for several hours, like for work, you can go 1 or 2 ppm above SLAM, but generally it is best to stick to the chlorine CYA chart.

Thanks! I really am learning so much here!!

@kellyfair I store the bleach in the house and the MA in the shed, I'm a little afraid of that stuff!!

@kcindc I just wanted to get the FC up a little bit high to kill anything that may have been lurking. Also, I figured while I'm waiting for the CYA to dissolve I'll probably lose a lot of the extra. I'm going to do the overnight FC loss test tonight to make sure there's no need to keep it up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.